Refurbed 2010 or refurbed 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ldominguez1986, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

I am just trying to figure out which Macbook Pro I should get. Will the C2D be enough for me or should I spend the extra $200 and get the i5? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

1) Which one is better for gaming
    2) Will the C2D be good enough for HD videos
    3) A lot of just day to day use of the macbook

2. Cubytus macrumors 65816

1) i5. It comes with a better graphics chip anyway.
    2) yes, even 1080p.
    3) C2D would be enough.

But you're forgetting a very important question: Do you still use ANY, and I mean ANY application, device manager or such that is still dependent upon a PowerPC architecture?

I know I do, and since the device, a scanner, works just fine, I'm wary about switching to Lion. An i5 will likely come with Lion included, with no way to downgrade to Snow Leopard. Just keep it in mind.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

They wil both be able to run SL without an issue, just need 10.6.8 to get it fully running and recognized (need to start with a minimum of 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 to get it to load for the i5).

4. MrBullet macrumors member

I guess if you're on a tight budget then the 2010 model would do just fine.

But if the extra 200 bucks is just lying about and you're happy to spend it, then get the i5 for sure.

5. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. It more or less has more to do with which gpu is better. Does anyone here own one or the other and couls shed some insight? Like I said, I am just an average user and do not intend on using it for anything more than gaming, surfing the web and other misc. things

6. bill-p macrumors 65832

I think this begs the question... which size? If it's 13", the 2010 is better for gaming.

If it's 15", go for 2011.

But based on the fact that it's an i5 (unless you made a typo), I'd guess that it's 13". In which case, 2010 is your no-brainer choice here, unless gaming, HD video and battery life are not too high on your list of priorities.

7. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did mean 13 inch and thanks for your help

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Both models will suck at gaming, but will do fine for the rest.

A Mac never was an never will be intended for gaming, expect poor performance at best and you won't be disappointed. The 13" will play older games alright, but forget about recent games.

9. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

I have seen videos on youtube of macbook pro's playing newer games like Batman without a problem. I could really care less of having to put it on low settings.

10. scupking macrumors 6502a

11. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member