Refurbed Core Duo or Core 2 Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaycrew, May 5, 2007.

1. jaycrew macrumors member

Hey all,

I was thinking about buying a refurbed Macbook as an upgrade from my iBook. My main purposes are the typical email, word processing, watching DVDs, storing some pics.

I see the low end Core Duo is 799 refurbed while the low end Core 2 Macbook is 949.

I was planning on buying a refurb, using it for a while and then passing it on to a family member before upgrading to a Macbook Pro or a more powerful Macbook in the future.

Worth going with the Core 2, or save money and go with Core duo?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I was also asking the same thing a while back when I started my research on my purchase. I believe the CD models had quite a few problems if I'm not mistaken, don't quote me on that though. The CD models are very capable of performing what your uses will be. For myself, I have decided to go for a C2D model because I am planning on using it for the rest of my college experience (1/3 done now). Hope this helps, just my two cents and a half for what its worth. Good luck!

3. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

If that's all you're using the laptop for, why do you need a Macbook Pro eventually? Macbooks fly on all non-GPU-intensive tasks and is sturdier.

I think the only difference that might make a difference for you between CD and C2D is that C2D Macbooks can do 802.11n wireless, which obviously only matters if you're going to invest in a n wireless router too. Otherwise, I say save the cash and get the CD. You'll never notice the speed difference as there isn't much of one.

4. bsolomonny macrumors regular

for your purposes get the core duo. The refurb will have all the problems fixed. I have a CD Blackbook and my brother has the C2D....there is no noticeable difference when doing the tasks you described.

5. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

I had a CD 2.0Ghz 1GB RAM model from my school, and just bought a C2D 2.0 Ghz 1GB RAM model for myself. I can definitely tell the difference between the two. The CD model would take up to 20 bounces to start up Firefox, and I would have spinning rainbows every few minutes. The C2D model takes 2 or 3 bounces to start programs, and I've only had a couple spinning rainbows since I got it.

6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Sounds like there is something wrong with the CD machine. It doesn't take that long on my 1.33Ghz PowerBook.

7. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

There probably was, but I don't have it anymore. I had to return it to the school last week, which was why I bought a C2D model instead.