refurbed Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nexrus, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Nexrus macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a macbook and I've had a few people recomend a refurbished one. Is it worth the extra cash to buy a new one?

do refurbished ones come with a warrenty?
    do they ever have signs of use? scratches, glossy touchpad, etc

Any aditional info is much appreciated.

2. T4Show macrumors newbie

T4Show

I highly recommend getting a refurb through Apple. Almost every Mac I've owned has been a refurb. Apple doesn't let one of their products leave them with even a scratch on it. You should definitely do it. That way, you cab use the money you save on RAM and accessories.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Definitely. I've saved a ton of money over the years buying refurb stuff from the Apple Store and have never been disappointed. The only difference is the packaging.

If you're really living right, you might even get a "courtesy upgrade," which is a unit that is different from a standard spec but they sell it as one, meaning you can get extra memory, a larger hard drive, etc.

I have never been that lucky, but I know people who have.

MacDann

4. Crow47 macrumors member

Definitely go with the refurb. My macbook was refurb, and there wasn't a scratch to be seen on it.

5. Ahuckaby macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Are most refurbs the current mb and mb pro specs?

6. JTag macrumors newbie

Yup.

You should definitely buy a refurb. It is worth the savings and mine came in pristine condition.

7. Nexrus thread starter macrumors newbie

great. everything sounds good.

but do the refurbished ones come with the same warranty?

8. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

yes. One year with an option for two additional years via AppleCare. Same as the new ones.

I've bought three refurbs for family members and they all were pristine. Two came with bonus ram. I fully expect my next mac to be a refurb (Penryn MacBook sometime around Christmas).

Given that forums like these are naturally prone to complaints more than praise, it's remarkable how unanimous the voices are in favor of refurbs. They must really be fine machines, and they're a great way to save some dough.

9. Nexrus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone

Does anyone know if student discounts still apply to refurbished macs?

And several people have mentioned free upgrades. Is this in the description before you buy it? or is it random and you only know once you get it?

10. David G. macrumors 6502a

Student discounts don't apply towards refurbished products.
    The free upgrades are completely random, you won't know until open the box it comes in.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I will never buy a non-refurbished Apple product. It's the best discount you can get without being within 3 degrees of SJ.

12. GCY macrumors regular

I plan on getting a MBP soon but the edu discount and refurnished mac are only $100 apart!:( too bad theres no edu discount on refurnished items. Will be a very hard decision. And NY tax are a killer!($150+)

13. dtklamf macrumors regular

the problem is everytime i check the apple website i see something new listed in the refurb section so i cant decide :|

currently its a 2.0ghz core duo macbook pro VS a 2.16ghz core 2 duo black macbook.

same price.

i am quite used to the 1440 res from my old 15" powerbook not sure how id go with a lower resolution but i have started to use these spaces things more.

im leaning towards the macbook though for portability ect though ..

14. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

you have to check very early in the morning (~7 CST or earlier) if you want the pick of the litter. They especially update stock on Tuesdays and Friday, it seems.

15. Ahuckaby macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

do apple stores carry refurbs? How much stock usually?

16. gutefahrt macrumors member

sorry, not always perfect

I bought a refurb MB a few days before leopard was released. The leopard upgrade disc kept on crashing the puter, so Apple sent me a free retail copy of Leopard. This didn't work, either, and after many tech support calls, it was determined that the HD was corrupt. Apple wanted me to send the MB in for repairs, but being only a week old, I insisted on a refund. They agreed, and I bought the new SR MB at my Apple store.

17. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

There is a good widget that does this for you from Apple-Discounts,com, I believe. I use it and it posts updates from the online store constantly.

That's how I snagged my MBP a few years ago - got a heck of a deal on it.

MacDann

18. Spievy macrumors regular

Wow that will be a time saver I am constantly watching the refurbs apple has in stock

BTW... Go with the refurb from Apple. You will save some cash and have the same warranty.

19. Ahuckaby macrumors newbie

I'm set on a refurb. But do they carry them instore

20. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

no refurbs in stores.

got my macbook refurbished, same exact spec as the new ones, 2.2GHz, 120GB, 1GB ram, super drive. saved $200, so that's a case and 4GB ram.

21. leftfoot macrumors regular

leftfoot

My refurb MBP is flawless, never buying new again.

22. dtklamf macrumors regular

the aust store seems to update haphazrdly.no set times.

23. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Just ordered a refurb myself.

Think of it this way.... everybody else's Macs just come off the line and go in a box. If there's a problem it won't be discovered until you run it.

Each refurb has been looked at by an actual person and had customized replacements (if necessary) and gets tested before it goes out.

...and you pay less for this.