Refurbed MBP 15" (UK) - worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nubben, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi all,

Have been looking to upgrade my 17" old version MBP to the new 15" Unibody MBP. Am also trying to save some money in the process so am considering a refurbished unit.

Have a couple of questions:

1. What's the quality of a refurb?

2. Difference in speed between 2.4 Ghz and 2.66 Ghz processor?

3. Difference in speed between 2GB and 4GB RAM?

4. How much would it be to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB RAM and also put a new 320/500GB 7200 rpm drive in it?

I mainly use my laptop for music, light Photoshop-ing, e-mail. I have noticed a difference in upgrading from 2GB to 3GB on my 17" machine.

Many thanks!

Nubben

2. pablol macrumors member

In my experience, refurbs are just as good as new. And if for some reason it's not, you can always return it or ask for an exchange.

The difference in processor speed is not that much, and if you're tight on cash, you'd be better off buying the 2.4 and upgrading RAM to 4GB and putting in a 7200RPM HD.

3. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Pabol, many thanks. I see in your sign that you have 4Gb and 320GB 7200 rpm drive. Did you upgrade yourself and if so how much did you pay in the end. If the differenc ein price having added these things will end up being say £100 or something then I'd rather get the more expensive 2.66ghz machine.

Thanks!