refurbed or new apple 23inch cinema displays? Where.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hugodrax, Feb 8, 2010.

1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I need to buy a couple more of the older type 23inch cinema displays Anyone know of a good reliable source?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Good luck finding a 23" ACD (new or refurbished) anywhere. They've been discontinued for over a year.

Is there a specific reason why you want ACDs? Alternatively, there are a lot of good 3rd-party IPS-based 24" panels (Dell, HP, etc.) out there as well that perform every bit as well as ACDs and have better color controls. Something to think about...

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Craigslist, if you can find a good deal because you can test the unit before buying. FleaBay can be sketchy, but I've had good luck so far.

Not to mention WTB threads on here or other forums ([H]ard, Anadtech, etc) are pretty reliable. Heatware is a good indicator on a seller. Considering the discontinuation of the monitor models you want, that's the best bet you can get. Somebody might find a room fuill of them and put them on the refurb store, but its very doubtful (only seen it happen once).

Why do you need those LCD monitors? There are several other good panels out there. Such as -

HP LP2475W
    Dell U2410
    Dell 2209WA
    NEC EA23WMi (might've screwed up some letters there)

Monitors coming out soon, or have not had a real review done on them yet

Dell U2711
    HP ZR24W

Monitors that are the bomb -
    NEC 2490WUXi
    NEC 2690WUXi

The LCD Thread at Anandtech. Scroll down for some recommendations. The rest is recommended reading, as well.

4. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

I'm also in the market for a 23" ACD. I've looked at the other brands and while it's tempting I find myself still leaning more towards the Apple brand. Plus, it also looks great sitting on the desk.

I've been watching e-bay like a hawk the past few weeks trying to spot the good deals. One thing I noticed to watch for is the contrast ratio; most are 400:1, however the last 23" model used 700:1. Further, at this point it's rare to see a completely new unopened 23" ACD. On average the used ones in great condition are selling between $320-450.

I'm kind of waiting a bit longer (until the new Mac Pros come out) to purchase one. I'm crossing my fingers that Apple will release new matte displays in the 24"-30" range here shortly, but I'm not counting on that.