"Refurbed" unibody macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by King James, Jun 10, 2009.

1. King James macrumors member

Okay so the unibody macbooks didn't come out that long ago and now since the complete switch to macbook pros they don't appear on the store anymore. Are the "refurbed" macbooks in the refurbed store actually just new macbooks that still need to be sold? Also, what does refurbed actually mean as far is the differences? Besides not getting the free ipod touch and the price is there a huge difference between refurbed macbook and new one? (such as with warranty, etc)

Thanks for the help!

2. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I dont think uMB's that are left over can be sold as refurbs. Refurbished means they are repaired and 100 % working again
    Btw there is no difference in warranty you still get the limited 1 year.

3. King James thread starter macrumors member

Is there any reason not to get a refurbed then? I believe that they could have minor scratches and stuff along that lines. And if the left over ones can't be sold as refurbs how the heck do you get them? Just have to go to store? I'll have to take a stop over at one and see what they are priced at, one would think they would have to be lower

4. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I have never bought a refurbished laptop but i dont see why you shouldnt as you still get the 1 year warranty. Also i dont know how to get a new uMP im looking around ebay for a cheap one might snap one up if its cheap. But im sure there will be quite a few popping up in the refurb part of the apple site and if you get a nice deal that you like take it, it could be gone the next day. Ive never seen the same product there for a few days its different everyday nearly.

UPDATE : There is currently ALOT of macbooks in the refurb site. You can get a unibody

13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
    2GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Standard keyboard

For 949 $. Wow that is nice

5. King James thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yah I saw that too. I just don't know if that is better or mbp and sell itouch

6. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I would get the MBP with ipod touch if i was in your situation. Up to you though

7. King James thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm thinkin the same way

8. GoHack macrumors member

I've heard that if there are any scratches or anything, on any of their returned products, Apple replaces the case.

The laptops are in 100% working order, and are rigorously tested, more so than the brand new ones even are.

I just bought a refurbished 2.4 GHz uMB, and it looks like it is brand spanking new. :D

Other than coming in an unmarked box, it was packaged inside as if new, which includes all the hardware, individually packaged as if new, that normally comes w/the laptop.

I saved $300 on the product, it comes w/the same warranty as a new one, and it is probably better than the equivalent brand new one. ;)

I've already expanded the memory to 4 Gb, and put a faster, and bigger HD into it.

It's running great.

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you can get the education discount you'd be crazy not to use it. The unibody Macbook is an old version, the new low end MBP is only $1099 with the education discount, the new model is better, you get the free iPod touch, and you get a free printer up to $100.

I'll let you do the math, but selling the iPod Touch on ebay will get you about $200 and therefore the newer model would be $899 in reality not to mention the improved specs and the free printer.

10. King James thread starter macrumors member

Forgot about the printer. It would be my third damn printer from student discount haha.

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You could have made about $55 by selling one of the $99.95 printers on ebay.

12. King James thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the help. I think when I do pull the trigger I'll go with the 13' uMPB. Apple changes stuff up so much I want to wait until snow leopard comes out just because I don't need the laptop this second, but am afraid the ipod deal will run out. But if I get it now who knows what might change by September/October hahaha

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The BTS iPod deal ends on Sept. 8.

Leopard is currently slated for release in September. My guess is that Apple will wait until later in the month.

14. Zafeer macrumors newbie

15. scarboni21 macrumors regular

The snow leopard upgrade for the new mbp is on $9.95 i believe so its definitley not worth it to hold out and miss out on the free ipod.