Refurbish Advice for G4 user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by garmstrong, May 24, 2008.

1. garmstrong macrumors newbie

Advice please on refurbishing my G4.
    Purpose of refurbishing is so I can continue to use Logic 8 and other music softwares. My machine will need a new DVD drive and more powerful HD.
    RAM I understand but I don't know what types of products to buy and install into the G4 to successfully keep it up to speed. Just don 't won't to have to spend a great deal of money on a new machine; well not just yet.
    Thanks -

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Go to OWC (eshop.macsales.com) as they carry everything (memory, disks, optical drives, processor upgrades, etc) and have some of the best prices around.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Or shop around the marketplace forum here, over @macnn, [H]ard, or any number of other computer boards that have FS/WTB lists......

And please post the model & current specs, so we can tell where you are now & where you can go to max it out :p

The actual model of G4 you have will dictate what ram you need, older ones take PC100/133, newer ones take PC2100/2700......

As for HDD's, just about any EIDE/PATA will work....but the older machines are limited to 128GB in size unless you also add a PCI controller card...... and if you go that route, you should just go ahead & move up to SATA.....get mo speeeed + mo GB's too :eek:

With DVD drives, almost any Pioneer & ALOT of Sony's will work out of the box, just plug & play. Others may need a driver patch. This will depend alot on what version of OS X you are running......

If you wanna save a few bucks and would be ok with a used Sony that I just pulled yesterday from my Quicksilver, just pm me, perhaps we can work out a deal ........(I will be posting it into the marketplace tomorrow anyways)

4. garmstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks will check it out

5. garmstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks will post specs - Gabe