Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Hi everyone. I have decided not to wait for the Haswell refresh as I have lost my patience in the long waiting.

At my local Apple store, I have the choice of a between a 2012 refurbish retina MacBook Pro with the spec of
2.6Ghz
8GB ram ssd
512GB ssd

Or a new 2013 base model with 512 GB SSD upgrade.

Surely the refurbish one is cheaper. However I was worry it will be a LG monitor as the first generation it is likely for a LG screen to have ghost image (image retention ). I was wondering if I can take it to the local Apple Store to ask for a replacement ?

Last edited:

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Yes, if you take it to an Apple Store and the display requires replacement they will take care of you right there and then at the store.

They will do one of 2 things - either replace it themselves at the store or send it out to have it replaced. The wait time can be anywhere from a few hours to a week, depending on whether or not they have the replacement display in stock and whether or not that particular store has the expertise to replace the display in-house.

Matchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Thx for the reply. I also want to ask will they give me a replacement of a 2013 model, as they might run out of stock for the 2012 model?

I have no intention in demand for a newer model, but I would like to prepare for a just in case scenario.

I would not mind paying a small amount for the upgrade. If it is necessary.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Generally speaking Apple will replace a defective unit with the same (2012 for 2012). You can't upgrade to another model for a warranty replacement (much like you can't replace a defective black iPhone with a white one). The only exception is if they have absolutely no 2012s left in stock, in which case they'll give you the configuration most similar to the one they're replacing.

Ultimately it depends on the store management, too, so it wouldn't hurt to ask the store directly just to confirm what their rules are.

(BTW if it's only the display that's the problem they won't replace the entire unit, just the display).

Matchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Read through some of the post in the forum about the defective screen. Most of them end up getting a replacement. That's why it come to my impression that they are likely to swap for a new unit instead of replacing the screen for the case of retina MacBook pro.

Matchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
What's the difference between the 2012 and the 2013 apart from the 0.1ghz speed bump?

Matchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Also what should I be checking when I receive the refurbish MacBook Pro apart from the screen?

Do I need to check the health status of the SSD ? And in what kind situation I can demand for a replacement ?

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Most reviews of the refurbished apple products actually have very little negatives listed.

A refurbished mac gets checked and inspected far more thoroughly than a new one and generally has the problem that it might have had resulting in it being returned fixed before it gets to you.

If you compile a list of things that could be wrong with it and focus too much on them, I am sure you are going to find something wrong with any MBP you receive. I found a tiny like pin-hole in mine next to the keyboard on the aluminum, felt a little sad, but was like as along as it doesn't grow or effect performance, it is not worth worrying about.

They still have the full 1 year warranty and you can purchase apple care.

You could check the battery health, SSD health, screen, and of course cosmetic condition of it when you receive it. You would have to check with an apple store if one of these criteria does not meet your satisfaction as results vary on what each genius does for you.

I would bet that when you receive it, your fears will be relieved. Enjoy the MBP.

I ordered new and will probably order refurbished here on out due to the savings you can get and having read the countless positive refurbished reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.