Refurbished 13 Macbook wierd clicking noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tracid, Oct 12, 2012.

1. tracid macrumors member

Hi,

I've had my refurbished macbook for 2 weeks now and every time I move it around, there seems to be a clicking noise that's pretty frequent. My buddy says its the optical drive parking itself to prevent fall damage. If this is true, is it normal that it would make a clicking noise every time I move my macbook around?

I'm obviously not rigorous shaking it around on purpose. But when I place it in my backpack or walk around with it, it clicks pretty often.

other than that, I'm pretty happy with my 2012 macbook pro :cool:

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

He is almost right it is the hard drive parking not the optical drive. Yes you can turn that off but there is no good reason to do it and plenty of reasons not to. Not all drives are so loud but if you want to get rid of it buy an ssd

3. Michason macrumors newbie

This happens alot aswell on my RMBP. I heard it could be fixed by opening up your laptop and remove a non significant part. Not anything I would risk and it doesnt annoy me that much anyway.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

A rMBP does not have a mechanical HDD nor a CD/DVD drive:confused:

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your problem and the problem that the OP posted are completely different. His issue is most likely caused by the sudden motion sensor detecting movement and parking the heads of the HDD. Your issue is a creaky case(I believe, I don't have a rMBP). You definitely don't have a HDD though.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Or a faulty fan, or debris inside the fan.

7. Michason macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's probadly it. My bad :)