Refurbished 13" MBP - current models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nuks, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I am looking at buying a refurbished 13"MBP and I have two questions.

1) I've been out of the loop for a little bit and so I'm wondering if these two models: 2.4Ghz and 2.66Ghz are the most current versions of the MBP? All the specs seem to be the same between what's on the main Apple site and what's on these pages but I just want to be sure.

2) Is it worth it to spend the extra $250 on a better CPU ? I'm planning on probably getting 8gigs of ram as soon as possible regardless. I am a graphic designer / photographer (often using Aperture, Illustrator and Photoshop at the same time). I also will be doing a little 3d modeling (probably not too intensive), though I may do more if I go back to architecture school next year.

Many thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those are the current models and as they have been released in April, the Refurbished section will be filled with them (due to them being out for six months, not because of many kaputt MBPs in that specific line).

The extra 260MHz is not worth the extra money, better invest in more RAM via www.macsales.com or any other third party.

3. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

reading that part i can't help but think one thing....MBP15 i5.

My personal opinion would be that the MBP13 would suck at doing all that ... at the same time, and glossy 1200x800 might be too small + reflective as well for accurate photoshop use.

5. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

My 4 year old macbook can run illustrator, photoshop and aperture at the same time, not incredibly fast, but workable. I know next to nothin about CPUs.. is the i5 500 dollars better than the core2duo? And again, how much better is the coure2duo than the core duo?

I have a 22inch external monitor that I will use, so I guess my choice comes down to:

i5 with a 22 inch external monitor that I can't seem to calibrate correctly VS a core2duo + 22" external monitor with Spyder (or something similar) + 8gbs of ram.

Maybe the question is: is the i5 $500 better for someone who is cash strapped BUT hopes to get 4 years out of the laptop.

6. excommie macrumors regular

MBP, 13 inch is $999 at microcenter. If you have a microcenter in your area - this is alot better deal than the refurb. Price is cheaper, machine is brand new. You might also get lucky and apple store might match the 999 price (my buddy from work got the machine for 999 after showing them the microcenter deal).

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334909

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

^microcenter is in-store pick up only

Get the 2.66 for ~250$ more. A little bit of future proofing - even if it only accounts for 15% faster processing and a 15% higher resale value it may be worth it 3 years from now. Also perhaps the 320 GB harddrive will last you a bit longer.

8. excommie macrumors regular

Yes, but you might try price-matching at apple store. Some store managers will be willing to match.

9. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

You really cant future proof a c2d and paying +30% for a <10% speed bump NOONE will notice (.26ghz) is silly.

I agree with your friend about the videocard. I was referring to the i5 cpu however and not the 330m gpu making the difference.

10. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Best option to get a good deal and save some money is as mentioned already, purchase the $999 microcenter deal or price match at Best Buy to also get $20 back in rewards.:D

11. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm in Canada so i don't think I can price match. I think I'm going to end up going with the 13" as I think it should probably be able to handle most of what I can throw at it.. the i5 would be better, but that doesn't make the core2duo bad... Anyway, unless someone convinces me by tomorrow I will get the 13".
    Thanks everyone for the help!

12. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

don't go for the 2.66, save the dough, upgrade to a SSD yourself, it'll give you more performance than 2.66 over 2.4