Refurbished 13inch Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dougsterown, Jul 7, 2012.

1. dougsterown macrumors newbie

Should i buy a refurbished 13inch Macbook Pro?

I was saving up money to buy the new laptop the apple was going to release. But the retina display mac book is way out of my price range. I have about $900 and i want to buy the best laptop for that amount of money. I'm going into college this fall and will need a portable, powerful and reliable computer. I know apples macbook pros are top line laptops so is it smart to buy the refurbished 13inch for $930 or is it outdated? http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think you'd do well to get a refurbished. There still quite good as far as the specs go. Especially considering that you'll probably use it for basic college stuff. Save yourself a few bucks and get it. Apple warranties them, so if there is any problems with it, they'll take care of you.

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

There are some great deals on refurb 13" MBP. Also don't be afraid of the Early 2011 models. There was only a slight speed bump from early 2011 to late 2011. I've seen the early 2011 entry 13" MBP for $799 which was 2.3ghz rather than 2.4gz and had a smaller 320gb vs. 500gb. You can invest the savings into memory or towards a SSD drive and have an overall faster machine. You can get alerted by the refurbme website.

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Yeah, I bought an early 2011 and upgraded the RAM to 8 gigs and threw in a 256 M4 and this things slaughters the other 13's and I spent the same for my machine with the upgrades as buying a non refurb. Refurbs are most definitely the *****!

5. dougsterown thread starter macrumors newbie

how about the older models like 2010 15inch 2.4 ghz? are those up to date as well and will last me four years of college?

6. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

No way! If you're investing for long-term use (4 years is an eternity in tech years) go with a 2011 model, either early or late. You don't want to go any earlier than that. The magic really started happening with Sandy Bridge, IMO.

You then have the benefit of upgradability... a few years from now you can throw some new RAM in or add an SSD to your machine. With those two upgrades the MBP will scream, even the 2011's.

Get a 2011 refurb!

7. riveting macrumors 6502

2010 15 inch model is not bad, at least it is the first gen. core i5 rather than core 2 duo, however, with just about $100 difference, you can now get a early 2011 base refurbished MBP, I think that is a better choice. Of course, another $100 would get you late 2011 15 refurbished MBP.

8. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

No, it's not outdated. For basic college tasks I would get the refurbished 2011 or new 2012 if you can swing it. There is no better value these days, period. The only reason to get a bigger, more expensive model is that you need the extra screen space, more CPU (quad-core) or if you play games. Otherwise they'll do exactly the same thing with the same experience.