Refurbished 15 rMBP good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jinyoungkim7, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Hey guys i just saw that the base model 15 rMBP just got back in stock on the refurbished store for $1599. Is that a good deal or should I wait for haswell? Im mainly just a regular student that surfs the web and watches some movies, no computer intensive apps used at all. What do you guys think? Im deciding if i want this or the 8gb/256 ssd 2013 mb air for $1350

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Haswell will bring faster SSDs, better battery life and maybe increased graphics performance. However, that is a great price, so you have to weigh the pros and cons.

3. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I personally would wait for Haswell now. Its almost the end of July so the refresh should be not far from now.

4. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

I also heard that for the 15 in the current and haswell model wont warrant a big enugh difference to wait

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Speed-wise, you probably won't notice a difference, even if they put the new PCIe SSDs in there, but you will most likely still get increased battery life with Haswell, plus the newer 802.11ac wifi built in. There will be newer GPUs too.

If I were a student, I'd go for the new MBA. It's extremely portable and still respectable with mid-level gaming, if that's what you choose.

6. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

If you NEED it, then buy it.
    If your budget is LOW, then buy it.

I decided to buy the used rmbp 15" 2 days ago and got it today.
    I got a very great deal so I won't miss it for sure!

Good luck on your decision

7. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Well I heard that for the 15 in rMBP ivy bridge and haswell models won't have much of a difference besides longer battery life and the new wifi. 802.11ac wifi isn't the standard for awhile anyways unless you have a strong 50mb dl connection or higher which I don't. For $400 less ($2000 from edu discount on haswell rMbP to $1600 for the current refurbished) is it not a pretty good deal? Seems like the models refurbished are always out of stock.

Also would you guys prefer a 13 in haswell MBA or the 15 current rMBP as a regular college student that doesn't do any intensive work. I used the MBA and the difference between the screen quality was crazy.

Thanks for all the feedback, please feel free to share any other thoughts.

8. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Oh and I basically need a laptop before end of August when I go back to school

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

If that is truly what you use a computer for, then it'll have no problems running those tasks. You'll never use even a quarter of the computer's potential.

If you absolutely want a 15'', go for it, but honestly, to me, that's simply way too much computer for your needs, an iPad would be powerful enough.

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

What about a 13 inch rMBP? Do not rule it out if you are considering the MBA

11. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Eh i have the funds for a 15 refurbished and i just dont think its worth paying $1250 or so for a 13 in with a **** 4000 graphics card and 128gb of ssd.

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Understood, my point is performance wise the display of the MBA is like night and day versus the one in the 13 or 15 rMBP. If you were condidering a 13 inch versus a 15 size wise, the 13 rMBP compares more favorably against the 15 rMBP.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The refurbished 15" retina for $1599 is a great deal.

You're missing out on potentially longer battery life, slightly faster SSDs, and 802.11ac support, but you're also saving $500.

The 15" Haswell models will probably not have major performance improvements, and may in fact have reduced maximum graphics power because of a switch to Intel's Iris Pro integrated graphics.

If you were interested in a 13" rMBP with better graphics performance then it might be worth waiting.

14. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

yeahh, I will take it ,
    15 retina vs air...come on, wake up. you just pay more $249 from air and u get retina with quad-core and dual GPU.

do you think that new processor (haswell) will help u much? maybe from battrey overview, air is better than air. just it

15. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Ah yeah but what i meant was i dont think its worth buying an ivy bridge 13 rMBP for whatever is the sale price now since it has a underpowered graphcis cards and 128 ssd as e base. Might as well get my moneys worth by paying $300 ish more and get quad core i7, 256 ssd, 1gb graphics, and a 15 in screen for $1600

16. collinmac macrumors member

dude, get it. i'm getting 6.5 hours of battery life right now.

i bought the retina as well refurbished on that deal. you're getting a $2100 laptop for $1600.

i've gone through about 5 different laptops in the last month and every time i'm going back to the rmbp.