Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Hey all. As you may know I've been planning and mildly obsessing over lol getting some kind of rMBP when I get my tax refund back whenever I do. Apple's online store has a decently spec'd 2.3 GHz 15" model (which was the base model from 1st gen) for $1,779. Would I only be able to purchase it online, or would I also be able to walk into a brick-and-mortar retail store and purchase it there as well? I aware that you can buy the machine online and then have it SHIPPED to a participating retail store to pick up, but I've always dreamed of the thrill of going to the store to get the new piece of kit, in turn taking it home the same day/evening, whenever I'd manage to go and come home with it.

Thanks in advance!

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Don't think you can get a refurb from a store but you can call that specific store and find out!

cas85

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
I bought the same refurb you're looking at two days ago. It's perfect as far as I can tell. Had it shipped to the apple store. Got a Samsung screen. I say go for it. You got a warranty and return policy. Not much of a gamble.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I bought the same refurb you're looking at two days ago. It's perfect as far as I can tell. Had it shipped to the apple store. Got a Samsung screen. I say go for it. You got a warranty and return policy. Not much of a gamble.

Haha well I meant gamble in the sense and hope that I'd get more than just a 2.3 GHz model, but something higher end, and possibly a model with 16 GB RAM. Also my hope is that I get a totally brand new 2.3 GHz model so I can get that shiny box too. lol. I guess time will tell.. I gotta tie some lose ends and I'll file my taxes.. and we'll see what I get back...

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Haha well I meant gamble in the sense and hope that I'd get more than just a 2.3 GHz model, but something higher end, and possibly a model with 16 GB RAM. Also my hope is that I get a totally brand new 2.3 GHz model so I can get that shiny box too. lol. I guess time will tell.. I gotta tie some lose ends and I'll file my taxes.. and we'll see what I get back...

I really wouldn't hope for those things if I were you. There's a slim chance that you get one with more RAM, and probably almost no chance that you get a higher end processor since that model has its own listing on the refurb store.

Also I haven't ever heard of someone ordering a refurb and getting it in a new box.

If one of those things happens then great, but to hope for them will probably just leave you disappointed.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I really wouldn't hope for those things if I were you. There's a slim chance that you get one with more RAM, and probably almost no chance that you get a higher end processor since that model has its own listing on the refurb store.

Also I haven't ever heard of someone ordering a refurb and getting it in a new box.

If one of those things happens then great, but to hope for them will probably just leave you disappointed.

Meh it'd be nice if those things happened as a surprise, but a 2.3 Ghz Quad i7 vs my dual Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz would be a HUGE difference. I won't be disappointed at all. I've been reading nothing but success stories of people here that have the 2.3 GHz model, whether they got it refurb'd or new.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Meh it'd be nice if those things happened as a surprise, but a 2.3 Ghz Quad i7 vs my dual Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz would be a HUGE difference. I won't be disappointed at all. I've been reading nothing but success stories of people here that have the 2.3 GHz model, whether they got it refurb'd or new.

Trust me, there won't be a huge difference between the performance between the low end and higher end quad cores. Only one that would make a slight difference is the highest quad core available on the retina because thats the only one that bumps the cache size. As for RAM, you'll be surprised to see 8gb is plenty. I have the rMBP base, you won't be sad because you got the lower end parts. However I am lucky to get both Samsung SSD/Display.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Trust me, there won't be a huge difference between the performance between the low end and higher end quad cores. Only one that would make a slight difference is the highest quad core available on the retina because thats the only one that bumps the cache size. As for RAM, you'll be surprised to see 8gb is plenty. I have the rMBP base, you won't be sad because you got the lower end parts. However I am lucky to get both Samsung SSD/Display.

Okay so you wholeheartedly think/feel that I'd be happy with the $1779 base 15" 2.3 GHz refurb, with any surprises that might be thrown at me? I was planning on getting the OWC 480 GB drive as a replacement and then I'd plop the 256 GB OEM drive into the enclosure its kit would come with.

Last edited:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Okay so you wholeheartedly think/feel that I'd be happy with the $1779 base 15" 2.3 GHz refurb, with any surprises that might be thrown at me? I was planning on getting the OWC 480 GB drive as a replacement and then I'd plop the 256 GB OEM drive into the enclosure its kit would come with.

It's up to you but I personally would probably stick with the OEM SSD and add a USB 3 external hard drive for storing big files, games, etc.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012

Yes because refurbs are thoroughly checked by Apple! I'm pretty confident you'll be satisfied. Replacing SSDs might be hard on this thing I THINK but I wholeheartedly feel you will be happy with what you get. Just update everything to the latest software from the app store, and you're solid ;)

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.