Refurbished 2.4 aMacbook or 2.26 13 inch macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Meever, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

Seems like a obvious choice. They're essentially the same thing right? Except the aluminum macbook has a better CPU. And the macbook pro has firewire, sd card reader and a longer lasting non removable battery?

Well, actually, I heard something about a superior display on the macbook pro. Cloud someone elaborate on this please? Thank you very much for your time.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It'd be helpful to know what you are looking for/needing? If you need the SD card, it would seem that the choice would be obvious...? I imagine that you will notice the battery length much more then the .14 processor difference.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Is the new processor exactly the same, only slightly faster, or is there some new architecture at work? Clock speed alone does not tell the whole story.

I think the new Pro is the obvious choice. Better screen and better battery life would do it for me. The SD card slot and Firewire are pluses, too.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You can get a usb to sd dongle for a couple of bucks. If the 2.4 was made in 09, apple upgraded the screens over the late 08 models (Though my 9c8c screen is just fine.) so the screen wouldn't necessarily be obviously better.

Battery isn't either a pro or con. If you're needing a butt load of battery life, it's possible to get a second battery which would rival or surpass the new extended life one.

What are you using the lappie for, and how much are the prices for each model?

5. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Get the 2.26, it has a few extra (and useful) features and will be just as fast

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why bother yourself with dongles? And there's no way you can buy a quality (note the word) USB - SD dongle (adapter, not dongle) for a couple of bucks and also ship it to your house if you buy online. Apple seriously did upgrade the screens. Just because you feel pissed off that your MacBook isn't the latest and greatest doesn't mean you have to give the OP a load of bias. And it's not "possible to get a second battery", it's not even a possibility, but a reality. Unless the OP feels like getting an older model, less features (FW and SD), and wants to buy a second battery, he should stick with the newer model. I'd rather buy something newer with more features than buy something older and spend more money to match the newer model's features.

7. Meever thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, all my cameras use compact flash so I have to plug in via USB or go dongle anyways. I have a point and click and a few devices that use micro SD as well, but I have so many free dongles that came with flash cards it almost makes it a moot point.

the refurbed 2.4gh model is 1099 while the macpro new is 1199.

I'd be using this laptop for everyday use and photo editing. I've never done any video editing before but it's something that I can see getting into at some time in the near future.

So yeah.... is the difference between the two screens substantial? I have pretty keen eyes and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to photo editing. If the newer displays would help then I wouldn't mind throwing in another 100 dollars.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Actually, if you're willing to be patient for maybe another 6-ish weeks, we'll be seeing the 13"MBP hitting the refurbished store, and using their usual price point, it should be around $1049.

9. jedoyle macrumors newbie

The newer model can support up to 8 gigs of ram whereas the UMB 2.4 can only support 4 gigs. I would think that the increase in ram would result in a more substantial boost in performance than the small boost in processor performance.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...wait until the new models hit the refurb store if you are in the USA and get free shipping...

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The new screen is claimed to have 60% greater color gamut. I'm not a professional photography kind of guy, but 60% sounds pretty big to me. ;)

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

They can unofficially take 6.

13. Meever thread starter macrumors 6502a

wouldn't that hurt the performance? I was always under the impression that you were suppose to put even amount of ram in each slots.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What, I'm sorta confused the recommendations have all sorta been normalish sounding?

15. magbarn macrumors 68000

Then you should get the new one. If you're using super fast UDMA compact flash cards you can buy a Sandisk Firewire 800 compactflash reader for the MBP, much faster than the USB compactflash readers. Also if you're still working with standard def video the firewire interface is a plus. (AVCHD uses USB most of the time)

16. opera57 macrumors 6502

Personally if they are the same money, based on processor speeds alone I would go for the 2.4 MB.. more bang for your buck! [​IMG]

17. cube macrumors G5

The old alu one sucks because it lacks FireWire, the new one sucks because the battery is integrated.

You should get the white MacBook.