Refurbished 2.53 or new 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Warelin, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Warelin macrumors newbie

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive @ 5400 RPM
    5400 RPM
    $1449 + Tax

'09 Macbook Pro
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    7-hour battery
    $1949 (College Discount + free ipod touch + free printer)

Would the five hundred dollar justify the cost?

I'd be using it for photoshop, indesign, uploading pictures I take, roaming, lightroom and itunes. Anything lower than 15" doesn't fit my needs and I think the 17" is overkill for my needs. Any suggestions?

2. Warelin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to reach a decision soon as my desktop at home is getting on my last nerves. :(

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I think it depends on if you want the touch and the printer. say, if you already have an iphone and a printer, I will say go with the refurb. If not, go with the new.

4. Doobz macrumors newbie

I actually just ordered the refurb 2.53GHz today! I was struggling with kinda the same dilemma as you. I'm starting grad school this fall to work on my MFA in visual arts, so I'd be using photoshop and stuff a lot.

So, the advantages I mainly saw from buying new was:
    Free Ipod and Printer
    Better Battery Life
    slightly better screen?

I already have an Ipod Classic and I didn't want any of the printers Apple offered. I also didn't see a need for a 7 hour battery life, I think I could find a place to charge my MBP if I need to. I was fine with the screen on the original unibodies. So pretty much, the price tag was what helped with my decision.

Have you thought about the low end 15" MBP, if you cared only about the screen size? I think its $1599 with the student discount. And if you really wanted an SD card reader instead of the Express34 Card and don't mind the integrated video card, then I think it's a good deal.

Good luck on your decision!