Refurbished 2.8 quad core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by D4F, May 12, 2008.

1. D4F Guest

D4F

hi all.
    I want to buy a Mac Pro with single quad processor.
    Did any of you have experience with refurbished Pros?
    it's a significant save of $$ especially that I want to get the new Ati once it's out.
    Should I go new or refurbished?
    sorry for this question but I never dealt with refurbished Apple stuff and don't want to end up with some fatigued $2000 junk :)

All input appreciated.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Do a search. Refurbs have been covered a bunch. They are generally highly recommended. Worth the money saved.

3. StumpJumper macrumors newbie

I don't have any experience with refurb Mac Pro's (bought a new one with the education discount, which worked out cheaper than a refurb).

However I bought a refurb MacBook Pro last year which saved me £400 and it was basically like new, plus my dad bought a refurb MacBook about 4 months ago and again, it was like new.

All refurbs have a 12 month warranty, so I'd recommend buying one and saving yourself some serious cash - if you're like most other Pro owners, you're going to want more RAM and Hard Disks pretty soon after purchasing! :D

4. chakosticks macrumors member

Just got a refurb 2.8 8-core a week ago. Cosmetically, it was obvious that it had been handled as there were fingerprints all over the case, handles and sides, but obviously a wipe-down took care of this. Functionally, everything seems OK so far with a possible exception being some artifacts during boot that I just posted another thread about. Man that stock 320GB Western Digital drive is noisy though!

I got my dad a refurb MacBook Pro over a year ago and that thing's worked like a charm, in fact that influenced my decision to get a refurb myself. At $2399, this refurb 8-core monster cost me $100 less than my non-refurb 500Mhz G4 did in 2000.