Refurbished 2012 rMPB (will it have image retention)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ralfpc4, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ralfpc4 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I am looking into getting the refurbished 2012 retina Macbook pro 15" where the baseline model goes for only $1599 on Apple's site. My only concern is the whole Image retention issue that generation had. I am not sure if the latest mac's have that issue but it seems to have plagued the 2012 line. My question is, if mine per chance winds up having IR problems, will Apple replace the screen for me. I have read in some places that Apple stopped covering this problem and this would be very disappointing if I wind up getting a bad screen. What do you guys think?

Ralf

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Do the IR test on it as soon as you get it and if it is affected return it under the 14 day window.

Barney

3. ralfpc4 thread starter macrumors newbie

By IR test, do you mean the checkerboard test, or checking the command prompt to see if it is Samsung or LG. Also, If I do the checkerboard test, and there are no current problems, do you think they would be willing to replace the screen if I develop problems down the road under the warranty?

4. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Honestly I wouldn't bother with either. If you notice any image retention then take it back, it should be covered under the 1 year warranty, if not you're in the clear.

When I do the checkerboard test I have ever so slight image retention, but it's impossible to notice any image retention when using the computer. I didn't even know mine had an issue until I ran the test and that was 2 months or so after I got the computer.

I thought about returning it, but in the end I thought you know, I never noticed I even had a problem before it, and I regularly forget about the image retention, so I'll just keep it. To this day I have never seen any display issues in actual usage, only when doing the test. I suppose the old motto of someone looking for flaws will eventually find them holds true in that case.

Note: I have a late 2013 13" rMBP.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably won't have the issue and if it does, have Apple replace the screen with a new one under warranty.