Refurbished 27" Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MisterMott, Oct 29, 2013.

1. MisterMott macrumors member

I asked this in the Mac Peripherals forum, but thought I'd try here too.

Has anyone here had any experiences with a refurbished display from Apple? I'm specifically looking at the 27" Thunderbolt display. I just want to know if everything was good, if the display and/or ports all worked fine, etc.

I've just purchased the late 2013 rMBP to replace my aging 2007 iMac, and was planning on accompanying it with with this display so that it can still be used as a solid desktop machine when I'm in my home office, but it seems silly to shell out full price for a new display if it may be updated a year or so down the road.

Any thoughts you all may have would be appreciated.

-MM.

2. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I would imagine its fine. Personally tho, I'd wait. Apple is bound to update their cinema displays soon. I mean, they look downright clunky next to the new sleek iMacs which have been available for a year now. It makes no sense that the cinema displays are thicker than the iMacs! There is NO computer inside!

When Apple does announce them, I'm sure the current cinema displays will go down in price.

3. yukio, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

yukio macrumors regular

i'm not sure, but i wonder if the new versions would be Thunderbolt2 to match the capabilities of the latest models. USB3 might be nice for future-proofing (as much as you can) too.

and while i'm dreaming, 4K resolution that i have no real world need for.

4. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

I bought mine as a refurb. in June. Plain white box but item itself is as new and came with the MagSafe 2 adaptor. Added the 'Alurack' by Just Mobile about a month ago.

Yeah there's cheaper stuff out there but I'm happy with my purchases.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I've got two. They predate the Magsafe2 adaptor, but I've never used that anyway.

New ones with TB2 and USB 3 would be nice, but there's been no announcement.

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I don't see how you could go wrong with one. I have two LED Cinema Displays (same display minus Thunderbolt for a Mac Pro) and I am very happy with them. You can find them less than retail at some online resellers and perhaps get a new one for close to the refurb cost in some cases.

If I had something that had Thunberbolt, that is the display I would get for it, no question.

7. MaulRx Suspended

So I have been in the market for a TB display myself. Something to pair with my 13' Air at the office since my eyes are getting worse with age. Anywho I dragged my Air to the apple store today to test drive the display, see if there was any lag etc.

The model I tested had a MagSafe 2 cord not the original with adapter. I asked if it was a new model and wasn't told for certain if it was.

Point being there may be a new model on the way, might want to wait.