Refurbished 2nd GEN iPod Touches

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by redkulat, Oct 31, 2008.

1. redkulat macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I was wondering when you guys think the Apple site will have 2nd Gen iPod touches for sale.

I'm eager to buy one but am not willing to spend 200+ for an 8GB version, when I get get a 16GB for the same price.

I'm going to assume sometime after Christmas? What do you guys think?

UPDATE!

The 2nd Generation refurbished iPod Touches are out. Beware though, they are only $10 cheaper than a retail version (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc).

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

As always.

3. larapumkin macrumors regular

i donno if im being picky but i get worried if i think i'd get a refurbished one..
    just feel like something can be missed from the device:confused:

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Refurbs that cost less and perform the same functions and come with the same stuff are winners across the board without issues. They come with a warranty just as if they were "brand new" when the item first came out on the market, so really there's nothing to worry about.

If you're buying direct from Apple they'll take care of it in the warranty period as promised.

5. redkulat thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about getting the 1st gen, but I've heard there are issues with the OS freezing up and what not.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

It'll be nice if they had it before christmas. I want to buy one as a christmas present :p for myself.

7. Kathy223 macrumors newbie

I'm holding out for another one myself. Sucks that the second generation ones can't be jail broken though.

8. M. Poirot macrumors member

I would be surprised to see any second gen touch's on the refurb store before mid january. Apple will want to hold any back until after Christmas to maximise sales of new models.

9. coolman827 macrumors newbie

At least for now..:D

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ lol. eventually they (iPhone Dev team) will find a way.
    But until then, go fully legit. :D

11. redkulat thread starter macrumors newbie

Rumors are going around that around mid-January to February the refurbished versions will start popping up. I hope this is true but I have doubts because they jsut came out in September.

I have the urge for buying a new one but my friend is telling me to hold off. I really hope it's not until next September.

12. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I have both a first gen Touch and a 2nd gen Touch and actually my 2nd gen Touch freezes a lot more, and seems a lot more buggy, and my 1st gen Touch rarely locks up or has problems.

13. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Could it be the new apps on the 2g that lock it up?

14. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I don't know, I guess that would be feasible.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'm too lazy to read through the thread so if someone already said this... ignore this.

Go to macmall.com

They are selling new 2nd gen. touches for 200. Take a look.

16. redkulat thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked it out and the 16 GB is actually a bit cheaper (it's showing me $277, plus I live in Canada so customs + taxes will screw me over).

I'm going to assume all American stores have it for 277 because here in Canada it's 299, and there is no way I am spending that much.

I'm a fan of Apple but I am no fan of their overly priced goods.

17. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

also check out amazon, got mine for $277 shipped (2nd gen 16gb)

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Unless a speaker is a deal breaker for you, get a 1st gen now. I didn't wait and I got an 8 GB refurb last month. No regrets, it works great and I couldn't be happier. :)

19. 11221212 macrumors newbie

well actually apple forces their prices the only way to get around an apple price is by buying used, refurb, or on an apple approved sale sorry dude:apple:

20. redkulat thread starter macrumors newbie

i am hoping by this month the 2nd gens will be released...but i also have a feeling that when the 7" 3rd gens come out, the 2nd gen refurb. might come out...

i hope thats not that case

21. Robby9279 macrumors regular

I've had no problems with my 1st gen iPod's OS, really, nothing. If anything it freezes up when using buggy applications from the App Store, Safari and everything works fine though.

22. redkulat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well ladies and gentleman, the refurbished 2ND gen touches have been out for about two weeks...

HOWEVER, buyer beware, they are only $10 cheaper than a brand new 2nd gen iPod touch from a store like Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

Totally not worth it!

I picked myself a new 16 GB model and am totally satisfied with knowing it's brand new, instead of getting a $10 cheaper refurbished version.