Refurbished 360 Console?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ChrisN, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi, well my friend got his 360 back from Microsoft (it had the RRoD) and he wants me to buy it and I'm just wondering if it will fail on me after a while. I heard the console is refurbished and I'm just wondering if it be alright after a while.

Thanks,
    ChrisN

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

MS doesnt give you back the console you sent in, they give you a different one

the warranty is renewed when you get the replacement 360

with that said, my brother has gone through 6 360s over the course of 3 years now. all have been replaced for free as each one hasnt lasted a year

the latest one he received came with the latest components such as the benq drive for example so hopefully its a keeper

in short: if you want a 360, buying from your friend shouldnt affect anything. in fact id rather do that than a new system if its a cheaper deal

3. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

I've had three now, and one had the RROD. It hasn't had it since, and I sold it to a friend after Microsoft refurbed it. Of the other two, one was quite loud, so I sold it on eBay, but the latest one I bought is one of the newer chipsets, with HDMI and much quieter fans.

Of the four friends I have with 360s, none of theirs (one which was bought on launch day) have had a problem. As long as you keep it in a well-ventilated area—like NOT in a closet or cabinet—it should perform well... plus Microsoft will warrant their repair for three years (I think).

4. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

When I sent mine in, they repaired it and sent back the same unit (I checked the serial number... and my DVD drive door still stuck the same way it originally did).

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

weird, we have always gotten different ones

hmm, the folks at ign say the same, some get the same, some different

http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_lobby/b8271/175796338/p1/?5

i will say op, due to my brothers issues, i decided to stay away from the 360 and got a ps3. glad i did. i mean even our original xbox didnt last a year and we keep these things in like the ideal location (well ventilated, in the open, off the ground, etc)

6. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

That is the worst thing about the 360 - since it has to be in the open, and it's loud, it's quite annoying when watching a movie. I have the HD-DVD player and a bunch of movies, so I'm not switching to the PS3 yet... I do want that Blu-Ray, though!

...oh, and Halo 3 is Xbox only! (My favorite game).

7. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Yea I want to switch to PS3 but the 360 has a lot of great games but their hardware sucks imo and not all of my friends have a ps3.

ChrisN

8. evan g macrumors regular

Yeah I have PS3 and most of my friends have a 360, but I'm hanging in there for some good games. My friends Xbox did get RRoD'd so he called me up and asked what he should get for PS3 in terms of games. He's completely satisfied.

I plan on getting a refurbished 360 one of these days and hopefully it works fine.

9. McShizzel macrumors regular

If I knew that eventually I would just get a refurbished Xbox 360 I would have just bought a refurbished one in the first place and saved some extra money.