Refurbished and Brand New MBP Problem!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by romz-rac, Jan 8, 2010.

1. romz-rac macrumors newbie

romz-rac

Hey guys i recently purchased a HP laptop and its already failing me so im deciding to go with the top of the line MacBook Pros but the only thing keeping me back is the price tag. Im currently using a 17" laptop which i consider too big, but it gave me the idea that 13" laptops are too small, so im now stuck in the middle at 15". I saw the macbook pro 13" 2.53ghz and 160hdd on apple's website for $1499, the hdd isnt a problem because im goin to buy a 500gb anyways. After seeing my comfort zone of $1500 could only get me a brand new 13" I decided to turn to the refurbished apple store and saw the perfect mac for me, the 15" macbook pro 2.53ghz 4gb ram and the 250hdd which I would gladly put in my ps3.

After alot of browsing I got a lot of mixed reviews on apple's refurbished MacBooks but, was still leaning towards buying 1. A few days later i read an article from a reputable website "PC Magazine" where the quality of the refurbish was said to be below standard and not worth the buy. It's gonna be alot harder for me to shell out $200 more for "The Perfect Laptop" but would it be worth it buying the new 15", saving $200 by buying the new 13" or the refurbished 15" for the same price as the new 13".

PLZ i need a good reply

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Apple refurbished is just as good, if not better.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a new and refurbished machine.

Don't worry, you'll be making a great purchase if you go refurb.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple's refurbished products are basically brand new. It goes through a stringent inspection process. I personally prefer refurbished because it's been through quality inspection twice. Once when it's brand new from the factory and the second time when the product was being refurbished. Statistically, it reduces the probability of defects because it's been through the process twice. It's also cheaper and sometimes you can get what costs $2000 for $1500 or less. Personally, the only reason I bought a brand new unibody MBP 15" was because of the free iPod touch deal for students. I would have bought refurbished otherwise.

4. dcac macrumors newbie

I agree as well. I used to work on refurbished and remanufactured products for nintendo. It seems like they are better than brand new from the factory since we have to go over the products in a more stringent manner. You save a lot with the discount and lot of times you may find a gem and get a laptop with an upgraded hard drive or more ram. I've gotten two refurbished laptops and I've been very happy with them. They look brand new but just don't have the fancy apple box.

5. aery macrumors member

aery

Go refurbished! Seriously. I bought my first MacBook from the refurb store about a month ago and couldn't be happier. I saved $300 and there is absolutely no difference between a refurb and a new machine. Many have posted here saying that they feel refurbs are even better than new because like SnowLeopard2008 said, they've been through an inspection process twice. I would gladly make another purchase from the refurb store.