Refurbished and open-box Macs after Xmas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dogen, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dogen macrumors newbie

Does anyone recall whether in past years more refurbished and open-box iMacs turn up after Dec. 25? I can imagine that Apple and retailers might see a flurry of returns, and marked-down products in more configurations than usual start to appear.

I ask because I'm in the market for an iMac, and I'm speculating on whether I'll see more 2013 models in particular in Apple's refurbished section if I wait another couple of weeks.

2. JAT macrumors 603

Well, first, I always stick to Apple refurbs, from Apple. (actually, all my current computers are refurbs) But they tend to arrive on the basis of Apple's release dates, not so much the holidays, and after that it's just random. It's been ~3 months since the latest iMacs were released, and refurbs just hit the store. That's pretty standard.

If there is a particular higher-end model you really want, then you can probably wait until you see it. I would guess their volume will ramp up over the next couple months regardless of whether it is release-date timing or holiday timing. But Apple really doesn't have that many configurations, anyway.