Refurbished any good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by actripxl, Mar 30, 2008.

1. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

I am thinking of purchasing a refurbished mac from apple, but would like to know what anyone thinks especially from first had experience.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I haven't personally owned a refurb, but I hear nothing but good things.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

My family have purchased 2 refurb MacBooks and one new MacBook. It would be hard to tell which was which.

Refurbs are "as good as new" - if they are slightly older models then they usually come with higher discounts.

Other than that my advice is buy the refurb esp if cheaper !!!

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This is getting absurd...

Just look down the forum

Less then ten below-debate about refurb

on the top page of this section-iMac refurb

still, on page one-debate about refurb Macbook

still on page one-someone who doesn't like their refurb

In my opinion they are safe, buy Apple Care and you should be fine.

By the way, there is different opinions about the refurb Macbook (and Macbook Pro) compared to the desktops, since the notebooks obviously takes some abuse

5. gertruded macrumors 6502

I purchased a refurb iMac on March 19. It arrived at my home on March 25 DOA. (Free ground shipping was 6 days.) I took it to the closest Apple store (90 miles away) the next day. The genius appointment was arranged by customer service. The genius declared the iMac DOA.

The store could not give me an exchange, but the genius talked to Apple on line store for me and arranged a return authorization and a new order.

I was able to download a FedEX return label, tape it on the box the DOA came in, and take it to a FedEX drop point on the 27th.

Apple shipped me a new refurb on the 28th with over night delivery. Since overnight was Saturday, I am expecting, and FedEX routing says, the new unit tomorrow.

I was VERY well treated by Apple, but the time delay in getting a new machine of 12 days is too long. The customer service has made me a customer for life.

I will spend the extra money to buy at the store next time. I need the machine to replace a broken one.

The DOA refurb will reach Apple some time this next week.

Gertrude

6. actripxl thread starter macrumors 6502

actripxl

Sorry just found a few threads, although I would suggest to place one as a sticky.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's okay...but really, you're question was so braod, and there were so many specific threads below.

8. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear you had a hard time getting a working machine.

I'm in a similar boat, but your experience is pushing me towards getting a new one at the store rather than a refurb through the website. I'm sure it would be okay (% wise), but what gets me the most is that the actual store cannot issue an exchange. :(