refurbished Apple products

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jb60606, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I was looking to buy a notebook from Apple's online store. Anyone have any bad experiences with them?

My primary concerns are dead pixels and sub-par displays.

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Well if the display was bad enough to be sent back originally, you should also be able to send it back if they didn't fix it. I haven't heard anyone complain however.

3. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have a Macbook that was delivered on Friday and everything is perfect but as I have stated on here before you have to be careful what you pay for them. There are some items that you can purchase new for another $100. In those cases why buy something that someone has sent back for some reason. If you can always check the Education store on line at the Apple site.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've had good experiences with refurbs, but I also haven't bought anything with a built in display.

5. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I bought my MBP as a refurb. It did have 1 dead pixel, but they replaced it for me.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I bought my MBP refurbished. It arrived in flawless condition and has been great.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You probably have the same chance at a bad experience with a refurb as with a new machine.

If you don't mind losing the ability to custom order, and want to save a few dollars...

It is a decent choice to make.

8. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

Do you guys know if I have to order the AppleCare 3yr warranty with the notebook, or can I order it at a separate time?

My card has a $3k max. With tax, the notebook alone takes me just short of $3k.

Thanks again.

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you have a year to purchase applecare

10. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I believe the rule is you have to purchase it prior to your 1 year expiring...

11. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

My refurbished, white, Santa Rosa MacBook just arrived Friday. It seems to be absolutely flawless. Trust me, I am a perfectionist, and I can't find anything wrong with it.

12. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

WHICH... you should probably utilize... because if you think about it - you are paying money up front for your applecare... why not just keep the money in your own bank/CD/investment for an extra year... its like a $10 discount!