Refurbished apple products

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vincecamerano, Jan 19, 2009.

1. vincecamerano macrumors newbie

Hey has anyone here bought any refurbished products from apple especially the cinema displays? If so how are they packaged are they just like new??

2. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Refurbished Apple Products come in a brown cardboard box. The usual styrofoam and "Designed in California" stuff is all there, except it is packaged in a plain cardboard box with "Apple Certified Refurbished Product" on the side.

3. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Oh cool!

4. suburbia macrumors 6502

I believe that usually when there's a update on a product, the previous versions will be offered as a "refurbished" item. So you're not even getting a "used" product, just an older version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Any new stock they have will be sold as new in Clearance.

Any refurb stock is computers that used to be broken or were returned.

6. suburbia macrumors 6502

Thanks for the correction there: I wasn't aware there was a "clearance" section in the online Apple Store:D

To the OP, I would definitely not go for a refurbished ACD. The chances of dead pixels would be reason enough to not take that gamble.

7. weez999 macrumors member

I happened to buy a MacBook 13in back in March last year and it was DOA unfortunately. My friend at Apple says they have the highest standards for refurbishing units and that I had just been unlucky. He said it's rare but nobody's perfect. I believe him.

I ended up returning it and going local because I needed it by the next day. Otherwise, I would have just gotten another refurb without thinking twice.
    :apple:

8. vincecamerano thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I went ahead and purchased the refurbished cinema display 23". I think it should be fine.

9. suburbia macrumors 6502

Please do update on whether there are any dead pixels :)

10. vincecamerano thread starter macrumors newbie

11. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

My iPods came in white Apple boxes - as seen from this unboxing video.

12. vincecamerano thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you really think their will be dead pixels??

13. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I purchased a refurbished iMac and it was flawless and came in a brown bow. I also just received a refurbished apple tv, and everything was identical to my brand new apple tv except that the remote was not wrapped in plastic. Refurbished is by all means the way to go.

14. suburbia macrumors 6502

There's always that probability-- but that's not exclusive to refurbished products. I'm sure your ACD will be free of dead pixel(s) since we're anticipating it;)

15. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I bought a first generation iPod nano and it came in a basic brown cardboard packaging. The headphones, manuals and cables were brand new, or appeared to be and the iPod itself didn't have a scratch on it.