Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling certified refurbished models of the Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD with the redesigned Siri Remote for the first time in the United States, Canada, and many European countries, with prices discounted by around 15% as usual.

apple-tv-4k-design-triad.jpg

In the United States, for example, a refurbished Apple TV 4K with 32GB of storage and the redesigned Siri Remote is priced at $149, compared to $179 brand new. Or, customers can bump up to a refurbished 64GB Apple TV 4K for $169, compared to $199 brand new. Apple is also offering refurbished Apple TV HD models with the redesigned Siri Remote.

Apple says all of its refurbished products are thoroughly cleaned, inspected, and guaranteed to be fully functional, and in many cases, Apple's refurbished products are virtually indistinguishable from brand new products.

The new Apple TV 4K with the redesigned Siri Remote debuted in April, with other key features including Wi-Fi 6 and HDMI 2.1.

(Thanks, John Kimmel!)

Article Link: Refurbished Apple TV 4K With Redesigned Siri Remote Now Available, Pricing Starts at $149

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
When first released didn’t it come with a free year of Apple TV+

So now you’re effectively paying more for used hardware

Reactions: Glideslope

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011

Did it really? Reminds me of the good ole days when directv now was cheap

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
The larger storage is good for what, games? Does anyone have the 32GB model and wish they got the 64GB?

RookiDT

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2017
Caldera
Indeed! And I'm going to go drive my Ford Pinto around town telling all of the Lexus owners who might be interested in an Apple TV to avoid it!
Apple exists fools like you who spend money for no reason. Yes you can tell Lexus owner about your pinto if the use case is to drive from point A to B. I hope you are in deep romance with your Apple products.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I'm using a Firestick on my higher-end 4k set and a 1080p Apple TV in the bedroom on an older set, and the Firestick has one major advantage over Apple TV - I don't constantly get signed out of apps that need my Comcast information. The Firestick holds the connections for a long time, whereas I constantly need to resign in on my Apple TV. Otherwise, I'd love to switch back to using the ATV on my main set.

Heelpir8

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2019
Apple exists fools like you who spend money for no reason. Yes you can tell Lexus owner about your pinto if the use case is to drive from point A to B. I hope you are in deep romance with your Apple products.

Cool. Have fun with your Fire TV Stick.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008

I believe that was for the model before this one. This model with the new remote never came with free AppleTV+.

I just recently got one of these and it is expensive, but it is much faster and YoutubeTV, Peloton apps all have features my Roku Ultra do not.

gecko579

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
Chapel Hill
I believe that was for the model before this one. This model with the new remote never came with free AppleTV+.

I just recently got one of these and it is expensive, but it is much faster and YoutubeTV, Peloton apps all have features my Roku Ultra do not.

Attachments

• CD721F75-5AA2-40FD-8992-764EF89A09E1.jpeg
    CD721F75-5AA2-40FD-8992-764EF89A09E1.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 62

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I stand corrected.

Did more research and found this:

Get Apple TV+ free when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac. Terms and conditions
• Offer is available for a limited time only
• Eligible devices activated July 1, 2021 or later will qualify for offers of 3 months free Apple TV+, while those activated on June 30, 2021 or earlier will qualify for offers of 1 year free Apple TV+.
• Offer cannot be combined with Apple One. • Only one offer per Family, regardless of number of devices purchased. You can share your Apple TV+ subscription with up to 5 other family members via Family Sharin
• The 3 months free Apple TV+ offer is not available if you or your Family have previously accepted the Apple TV+ one year free offer.

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
Look I have an apple tv 4k because it pkays oerfectly whith the rest of my apple products and delivers 4k hdr kontent to the rest of my av setup, could I've gotten the ilad, iphone, and atv4k eqvivalent cheaper if I'd gone with Android products, probably, would all the devices work togather as seamlessly? possebly would i get major os upgrades fir as long, for all devices? I doubt it. And this is what gives the apple ecosystem aded value for me. btw I allso have a firestick for some tv from abroad applications, this fillsthe one hole in apples offerings. All inn all I 'm very happy with this solution. Is it for everybody? No, but show me one that is.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I wonder how much faster this thing launches apps compared to the first gen ATV4K. Has anyone done a test?

ROBB D

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me about App switching in the Ruku or Firestick? My experience with Ruku is that if you accidentally hit the home button, you have to wait and wait for the app to reopen. Then restart the show/movie you are watching. And that app switching doesn't exist.

go ahead, DUCKDUCKGO this: app switching ruck; app switching firestick; app switching appletv.

I've seen NO reviews in years that document this fact and that you could have countless media apps open with shows/movies. They pause. And when you return, you simply unpause. This is NOT possible with a RUKU or FIRESTICK. This ALONE is worth the price tag. Again, no reviews document that the APPLETV does this and that the competition doesn't. Its as simple as App Switching on iOS or Android. With the processing strength to do this without lag!

ABHB

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
The Beach
I agree that 32GB is enough storage. I’ve never been limited.

Refurbished products are great but in this case I don’t think the discount is enough. I got a 4K last year from Apple during the Black Friday sale for $179 with a $50 gift card. I think the Apple TVs are usually part of the sale.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Can anyone tell me about App switching in the Ruku or Firestick? My experience with Ruku is that if you accidentally hit the home button, you have to wait and wait for the app to reopen. Then restart the show/movie you are watching. And that app switching doesn't exist.

go ahead, DUCKDUCKGO this: app switching ruck; app switching firestick; app switching appletv.

I've seen NO reviews in years that document this fact and that you could have countless media apps open with shows/movies. They pause. And when you return, you simply unpause. This is NOT possible with a RUKU or FIRESTICK. This ALONE is worth the price tag. Again, no reviews document that the APPLETV does this and that the competition doesn't. Its as simple as App Switching on iOS or Android. With the processing strength to do this without lag!
This is the main difference I have noticed with the ATV 4K. With YoutubeTV, if I quit the app in Roku and start again, the app has to load up and I have to select what I was watching again. With the ATV, it basically loads where you left at right away if you re-launch the app. It's much faster than my Roku Ultra. After years of being a Roku user, I will probably switch now.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Especially since RookiDT represents the anti-Apple product hater who stalks Apple product forums just to shittalk on Apple products and try to draw attention to himself. I’ll just assume it’s a dude until I know different.
didn't know this, but there are quite a few of this kind here :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.