refurbished black Macbook 2.16, or new MB sr 2.2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AClark, Jan 6, 2008.

1. AClark macrumors newbie

Hi,

Due to problems with the refurbished black macbook 2.16 I recently purchased, I have the option of returning it or getting my money back. The refurbished macbook cost $1350 CND, and I'm wondering if I should exchange it or get my money back and buy a new SR MB 2.2 for $1550 CND with my student discount. I probably don't need the extra power, but an extra $200 for a new laptop with more power seems like a good deal. Should I save my money and stick with a replacement refurb 2.16 MB, or is an extra $200 worth the added benefits of the SR 2.2 MB?

Thanks, AC

2. BIK macrumors member

BIK

IIRC only the 2.2ghz SR Blackbook can be upgraded to 4 gigs of RAM.

If you're planning on maxing out the RAM, go with the 2.2, otherwise, I think the refurb is not a bad choice.

3. Kelly™ macrumors regular

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

What the folks above me said. You can still put 4gb into the 2.16, but it'll only see 3-3.3gb, depending on who you ask. Then again, something worth considering is that only pre-SR are likely to ship with Tiger (though they'll include Leopard disks if from Apple). If you ever want to use 10.4, get the 2.16.

5. hasah macrumors newbie

if colour is an issue for you, i.e. if your heart is set on getting a black macbook, then follow your heart and get the exchange. :rolleyes:

if however you dont care so much about the colour then yes, definately go for the NEW and FASTER white 2.2 macbook. not only is the clock speed faster but the processor also has a higher FSB (800 instead of the old 667). the new macbook also has better vents at the back of the macbook to keep your macbook cooler (in theory anyway).

another reason why you should get the refund is the fact that macworld (jan 15th) is coming up and you never know what amazing new mac apple might release (rumoured ultraportable macbook). and then you could use your refund money towards that. if however apple doesnt release anything new and amazing then still... you can go back to plan A and get a new 2.2 SR macbook... you can't go wrong! get the refund! :D

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352