Refurbished Black Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by msm3921, Feb 11, 2009.

1. msm3921 macrumors member

I was wondering if they still sell the black macbook in the refurbished section of the apple website. I have been checking every now and then but never see one. Thanks for the help

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just got to keep looking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stock of those is VERY low by now.

3. weezercleaver macrumors member

weezercleaver

If there were I would be interested. At first I didn't like the blackbook but now that there aren't any around I would love one. I guess it is an example of "the grass is always greener principle"

4. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

they're kind of hard to find. i kept checking for a couple days, and even when it'd show up on the refurb site when i'd click add to cart it'd say no longer in stock.

but just be patient. eventually you'll find it. i'm sure the stock is really low. i finally got mine though.

5. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Think they will ever make a black aluminum macbook? That would sell. I would buy it on the spot because I own a black macbook. Please make one!

6. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah there is just something about the black macbook that i really like. I have been checking several times a day. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?

7. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I bought mine with an education discount for $1650. I cant remember exactly.

8. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

I assume that was what it cost for a new one. I was wondering how much disflylatina paid for a refurb black one.

9. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

it was $1049 before tax. I don't remember how much it was total but it wasn't more than $1200 though.

10. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay. Well thank you for your help. Also I am planning on starting up with photography soon and was wondering if the black MacBook would be adequate for that. I have heard things about the different programs used for photo editing and don't want to end up getting something that wouldn't be good for what I would need

11. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Check eBay, there may be a few new ones floating around.

12. Slovig macrumors member

I spotted one the other day while looking at the Alu. they had in. I'm contemplating selling mine for an Alu. I have the integrated Intel graphics.

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Even though all the WhiteBook fanboys will be killing may for saying this, refurbished aluminum units are only $50 more. The technology the black MacBook uses is really a year old now and the aluminum MacBook will be able to run the latest photo editing programs even longer.

14. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

if you don't mind me asking, what is your reason for upgrading to an aluminum one?

Yeah that's true. But at the same point it seems like many people are saying that they are having a lot of issues with the aluminum ones. Plus unfortunately there is not an apple store anywhere around my school so it would be hard for me to take it to a store if I had any problems. How long is it until they come out with the revision b (i think that's what it's called) ones? By then wont most of the issues be solved?

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

For whatever it's worth, I have a 2.4 aluminum that has had zero problems. It is an absolutely wonderful computer.

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

To be completely honest, you should be fine with an aluminum one. I have a white MacBook which is fine, and my brother has an aluminum which is perfect as well. Even if you are still set on the plastic MacBooks, a new white MacBook with the NVIDIA 9400 would be better for your needs.

Additionally, it really doesn't matter if an Apple Store is near you or not. Apple offers excellent mail-in repair service which I use simply because I don't want to have to deal with a genius.

Rev B, I'd guess sometime before June.

17. Slovig macrumors member

Better graphics, and the DDR3 memory, those are the main reasons, but I'm contemplating getting a refurb 2.4GHz Pro, for the bigger screen, even better graphics.

18. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if this is a dumb question but would it be possible to buy a nvidia chipset and install it on the old macbook? And if so would it void your warranty? Also thank you everyone for all of your help so far. I'm really stuck on which macbook I want to get

19. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

yea they do i have one, im typing on one right now you just got to keep checking, i got my 2.4ghz 2gb ram 250 gb hdd for 1,049, i luv it, ive been playing cod4 on it(low settings) im still kind of jealous of the 9400m in the new MBs but W.E.

20. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

nope. i asked the same question, i ahd my logicboard replaced and i thought i was gonna get the new logicboards,nope, and graphics on macbooks are integrated, that means you cant replace it unless u replace the motherboard/logicboard

21. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

yea it isgood for photoshop no matter what anyone says, ive been playing cod4 on it, only tho if your going to be using photoshop alot u might wanna upgrade ram to 4gbs

22. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I got a refurb late 2007 blackbook last year when the then-new early 2008 (non-aluminium) MacBooks with the Penryns came out.

My refurb blackbook at the time was $1050 w/ 2.2GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM and 160 MB HDD. That wouldn't be that terrible of a deal today except that the current whitebook has the 9400M graphics. I just got AC from Amazon for $199, BTW. (No sense in buying AC until you are sure you are keeping the computer past the first year.)

FWIW, I keep a fairly close eye on the refurb store on Apple.com for other reasons, and its been a while since I've seen a blackbook there (or in clearance).

John_B

23. msm3921 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I thought it was too good to be true. I'm sure many people would be doing it if you could

Apple did have a few black ones in the refurb store the other day but they were only there for a few hours. I would have bought one but I'm still trying to decide which one I want. I really don't like the fact that the screen isn't that great on the older MacBooks

24. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

dude trust me, it works, ill post it on youtube,