Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platinum0285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I'm a college student in my senior year and I'll be entering Law School next year. I'm selling my current laptop while I can get good resale value for it and want to buy a MacBook today.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck trying to decide between buying a refurbished BlackBook($1099) or the low entry Model version of the new MacBooks($1250). The price defference isn't tremendous so that's not a worry but I just want to make sure that I buy the better machine.

So far I've only used my laptop for school work on MS OFFICE, Internet browsing, and to be honest that's about it. I have no idea yet, what computer work will be needed for Law School though.

Any Advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Do you need or want firewire? Do you care about fast graphics? I have the Black MacBook and since I do not use it for games it works great.

cerhard

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
I'm not a lawyer but my father is one and my uncle is one and a bunch of my friends are in law school. I'm pretty sure that all you need for law school is some sort of computer. Oh and you will spend multiple hours reading...and reading and reading and reading. good luck with that btw...just my 2cents. I'm sure any mb would suffice your needs.

Platinum0285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I don't do any gaming on my computer (own all gaming consoles) and don't plan to ever start. To be honest I don't even know what a firewire would be used for. My computer needs have been fairly basic to this point

Platinum0285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I'm pretty sure that I wont use the firewire than. I don't use much memory so I wont need an external hard drive and I'm more into digital cameras than video cameras.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'll see a difference in performance between both machines on normal tasks (internet, document writing, movie watching, maybe a little bit of simple photo shop)

cerhard

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
for normal purposes your won't see much of a difference in performance..plus you can always upgrade you ram if you need it to be a little faster

Platinum0285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I just noticed that 2.4Ghz MBP for only $1350. That's looking mighty tempting seeing as how there's only a $100 jump.

Crap...I think you just made my decision even tougher. Graphics aside (don't game or use software that needs it), will I see a big difference in the refurb MBP from the blackbook and the entry level new macbook? BTW do the MBP's include any extra software?

brettinlj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
I'm also going back and forth between the refurb 2.4ghz or the new 2.0ghz. I'm a grad student (MBA). I'm waiting for some definitive guidance on the performance of the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB vs. the 2.0Ghz 1066Mhz FSB. I don't think this site is technical enough to get a good answer for this, so I'm wait for a write-up from Anandtech.com or some other site.

I'd pay the $150 more for the new one if the non-gaming performance is equal or better, but if the old 2.4Ghz will have better performance, I'm going with it.

Phillyzero

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Do you need or want firewire? Do you care about fast graphics? I have the Black MacBook and since I do not use it for games it works great.

Current model is not for games either.

Go with the low-end MBP, if not then Blackbook, last resort is current macbook.

Platinum0285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Gaming and graphics really don't matter to me but I'm willing to pay the extra money if the low end MBP will be a better computer in regular tasks (internet browsing, basic photo shop, watching movies, and school work)

siddif

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
N. Ireland
if you are doing everyday tasks even a white macbook would suffice (thats what i am on right now) it has no problems with internet, music, office, etc... i even use it for WoW (but your not into games)

whatever you choose i hope it helps you with your course (mine certainly helps with my media production course)

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
For general use, which is what you want it for, you won't see much difference between the macbook pro, the black macbook, nor the new macbook. The macbook pro is mainly for video intensive use (such as video editing or gaming) If I had to choose I would take the new macbook out of the list. If you want a lighter machine, then go with the black macbook. If you really want a bigger screen and aluminum case then go with the refurbished macbook pro.

However for your use I would get the black macbook and upgrade the ram to 4 gb. You'll get a faster machine for less than the new macbook or the macbook pro.

Platinum0285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
So a 2.4 ghz blackbook with 4GB of ram will be an overall faster computer than a 2.0 ghz New MacBook? (Graphics and gaming not being important to me)

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
I've loved my Blackbook!!!

I've bought refurbished before (MBP) and it was absolutely pristine. And yes, you will love having a 2.4 ghz processor. I also have not seen any cracks, or chip, or discoloration problems like I have heard of on the white Macbooks. That said, I just ordered one of the new Macbooks and will pass my Blackbook down to my husband. It will be hard to let it go... tear, sniff, sniff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.