Refurbished buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbuyer7, May 31, 2015.

  1. Macbuyer7 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    #1
    Hey guys,

    So here is my dilemma. I'm Canadian and I've decided to settle on purchasing a refurbished 2014 13 inch rMBP. I plan on upgrading in two years (or whenever they redesign the Pros) so I don't want to go all out at the moment and am just looking for a workhorse to serve me faithfully for the next couple years. My dilemma is this: I was planning on getting a 2014 rMBP with 256GB SSD for 1359. But I was out the whole day and by the time I got home it was sold out. There is the exact same model still available with a 128GB hard drive, for 1189. I wanted to get the 256 primarily because I think in two years 256GB will be the base standard across all computers and I'd lose a lot more selling the 128GB model. Or am I being crazy and the difference in resale value will be pretty much at or near the difference in price right now? Thoughts? Should I just pull the trigger on the 128GB?
     
  2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

    iamMacPerson

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    Location:
    AZ/10.0.1.1
    #2
    I find 256GB in my nMP to be small sometimes, and I can imagine how small 128GB would be this day in age (I had a 128GB in my 2011 MBP). What I would do is use Refurb.me and wait for them to alert you when they come in. My Mac Pro (cylinder) was sold out when I was ready to order it, but RefubMe alerted me 2 days later and I ordered it right then. Usually, popular models aren't sold out for long.

    Good luck!
     
  3. LucasG macrumors regular

    LucasG

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    #3
    I bought me a 128GB SSD MBP 13" and I regret it. It was the version that also came with the low 4GB of RAM. I'd suggest aiming higher, even 256GB is a bit low, unless you're doing external or cloud storage, you'll have a hard time storing stuff on your computer.
     
  4. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Location:
    Phoenix
    #4
    I bought the 512 15in MBP and am returning it for a 1TB. 128 is honestly not a lot of space. I know due to the fact they use super premium SSD's its gets crazy expensive but remember that as of right now there are zero upgrade options for that hard drive. Its been two years with the same connector for the MBP's and still no 3rd party drives. This may change but you need to be sure that this will meet your needs for two years. As for the resale value I don't see it being a huge difference from 128 to 256
     
  5. Cuniac, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015

    Cuniac macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Location:
    Phoenix
    #6
  6. placidity44 macrumors 6502

    placidity44

    Joined:
    May 20, 2015
    #7
    I'd personally wait a week and check back. They get refurbs in all the time.
     
  7. Macbuyer7 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    #8
    Thanks everyone for all your great replies (especially iamMacPherson, RefurbMe is perfect!!), I have an update. RefurbMe just sent me a notification, and the model I wanted is available! Now however, there is also a 2014 MBP with a 256GB SSD, AND 16GB RAM for 200$ more. Is it worth it? 1369 vs 1569. What would you guys do? Time is of the essence!
     
  8. ChinkyBob macrumors regular

    ChinkyBob

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2014
    #9
    You are over thinking it.
    Just pull the trigger on the spec of Mac you want now (or at least wait another week till the WWDC is over then order). No one will want your 128gb Mac if you buy now and try to sell in 2 years. You will regret trying to save a buck overtime you copy files to and fro to a USB drive.
    Buy the best one with the biggest HD you can afford, while you might regret spending more money (who doesn't) you will NOT regret buying the best option.
     
  9. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Location:
    Phoenix
    #10
    It probably is a good bump. but what are the full specs on the one you wanted?
     
  10. iConnected macrumors 6502a

    iConnected

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    #11
    Go with your gut. Imagine buying one or the other and test how you would feel.

    Your gut is the best indicator of what's worth it to YOU.
     
  11. Macbuyer7 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    #12
    I've decided to go with the 8GB. I'm planning on selling this in two years anyways and am mainly just getting it because my current laptop is dying on me. I might as well save the 200 dollars because 8GB should hold up for at least two years.
     
  12. iConnected macrumors 6502a

    iConnected

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    #13
    Cool - I'm sure you'll enjoy your new purchase :cool:
     

Share This Page