Refurbished buying experiences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tinyluph, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Tinyluph macrumors regular

So I'm looking to buy a 15" retina macbook pro for school almost immediately (starting in spring).

I've been told Apple refurbished products are basically the same if not better than regular orders, but then I've also read about this whole samsung/LG panel fiasco. Should I be concerned about that when buying a refurbished rMBP? I'm not going to get a crappy LG panel just because it's a refurb am I?

I won't be doing anything intensive enough to care about the minor processor bump that just came out so that doesn't really matter.

2. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Get 2.3ghz model as soon as you can. It will be brand new. Apple will get rid of all the 2.3 ones fast.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all. Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.

Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

4. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Ordered a 13" cMBP i7 2.9ghz in December of last year. Flawless and packaged as if new in plain white box. Same warranty, support window as if new. perfectly fine. Delighted, and saved a couple of hundred bucks. Battery at 100% according to Coconut Battery. Can't speak to the rMBP question. Easy return if you're not satisfied though.

5. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Several people have said on here that they got a Samsung panel on their refurb. If you do get IR on your refurb then you can get it sorted just the same as if you bought it new :)

6. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

While I bought my rMBP new I have got refurbished Apple products including my AirPort extreme and my moms iPad 2 and my brothers AirPort Express ( the older one ) All arrived looking brand new. No issues to report about any of them. So I highly recommend going refurbished if you so desire.

7. joeysarks macrumors regular

I've only ever purchased refurbs from Apple. I'm never disappointed, and it's always basically a "brand new" experience cept for the box it comes in. When another model I want comes around I sling it and grab the new one for cheaper:)

8. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

As far as my experience goes with the refurb store, you can't get a better deal from Apple. There is the issue with the retina screens, but if you're not happy with what you get, Apple's normal return policy still applies to the refurbished products.

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Don't believe too much in the way of scaremongering on here. Many of the LG screens have a much brighter screen with better colour balance, and you might be lucky enough to get one of those. If you get a faulty screen you can return it. What else matters?

10. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

As it's been previously mentioned, buying refurb is almost, or even, better, than buying brand new. Besides the obvious factor they're *much* cheaper, refurbs have to pass certain standards, and are often refitted with brand new parts.

On top of that, you're get the same initial AppleCare/warranty, 90 day phone support, and be treated just as if you bought brand new. Refurbs do not make you a second-class citizen to Apple.

11. robvas macrumors 68020

Bought quite a few refurbs for myself and others at the office. Only bad thing is they don't come with the nice retail box.

12. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I've just ordered a retina 13" refurbished because it was stupidly cheap.

I am a little worried about the condition it will arrive in, but I can always return it for an exchange towards a new one if I'm not satisfied :)

13. richorlin macrumors regular

Just got a refurb 13" retina also. Ordered it yesterday and picked it up at my local Apple store today. It looks brand new. Don't worry needlessly.