Refurbished Classic vs Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by md63, Jun 18, 2009.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

I have been browsing the Apple refurb site since the release of the new MBP's and noticed many classic MBP which are priced the same as their unibody counterparts. I found this strange since the classics are generally a year older than the unibody and have the failure prone nvidia 8600 GT. Any explanation why the classics are being priced this way since the uMBP are supposed to be superior?

I've been thinking about upgrading my machine but can't give up the matte screen on my 2.2 GHZ SR MBP (June 2007). I like the uMBP in general but the glassy screen is a deal killer and the 17" is just to big. My 2.2 GHZ works fine but I am concerned about the GPU. If I was to purchase a refurb classic MBP is the 3 year extended warranty still available?

Thanks.

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you seen the glossy screen in person? I was against the glossy screen until I started using one.

If after that, the glossy screen is a deal breaker, then your decision is rather limited.
    Buy the 17" with the matte display
    Buy a refurb prior generation
    keep what you have.

Personally I think the unibody MBP is an awesome screen and once you calibrate the display, it should not be a problem.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I agree. Only a small amount of the screens that Apple puts into their machines are defective or messed up in some odd way. Overall, their color gamut is very wide and vivid, and the response time is very low. However, the only thing that is bad is the relatively low pixels to screen size. :(

5. tastychicken macrumors member

I just upgraded from the same notebook as you to a refurbed 2.53 unibody mbp. I had a matte screen on my notebook as well and moving to the glassy screen was a bit of an adjustment but i learned to like it. The unibody is really something different when compared to the classic mbp. It's alot more solid and the 9600M GT is alot better than the 128mb 8600M. So i would recommend going with the unibody. I know i liked the upgrade.