Refurbished i7 Air same as New but $260 less?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by johnnyindia, Jan 7, 2012.

1. johnnyindia macrumors member

The top of the line Refurbished MacBook Air is $1439

1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    256GB flash storage
    Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0ME0LL/A

New it's $1699

Is this the same computer new/refurbished? Why would I spent the extra $260 on new, if the refurbished is the same exact specs, comes with the same warranty, as well as eligible for applecare.

Please advise, I am buying an Air tmrw and would love to save the money, as long as I'm not missing something here...

2. Longdrive macrumors member

Looks like you should buy it. I have always been happy with Apple's refurbished products and have owned a refurb'ed cinema display (sold for a new ATD) and airport express. Love me the MBA and ATD together.

3. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

so there is no difference in the models? nothing i should worry about?

just found out that on amazon prime I can get the i5 1.7ghZ version new for $1499 which is also a better deal than buying direct from apple

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325975540&sr=1-3

not sure I even need the i7 1.8. will the i5 be quieter in terms of fan noise and have less heat?

decisions, decisions.

4. buddybd macrumors 6502

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple sells the refurbished models usually for 15% less than the MSRP for the new models. The only difference is that the refurbished models don't ship with the fancy box. They ship in standard shipping boxes only.

Perhaps marginally. Remember, on the 13" model, the i5 runs nearly as fast as the i7 (top dual core boosted speed of 2.4GHz vs. 2.6GHz for the i7). There is about an 8% CPU performance improvement with the i7 on the 13" model (it's closer to 25% on the 11" model).

The Amazon Prime model is the i5, not the i7. I'd get the refurbished i7 from Apple for $60 less. In my experience, Apple refurbished products are just as good as new (perhaps better, since it's been inspected individually before being re-sold).

6. jackwins macrumors regular

This is a good deal. I just paid $1600 from MacMall for the same model, only new. I should have checked out the apple referb's first.:mad:

7. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Definitely go for it. I got my MBP as a refurb and saved 20% and there's not a thing wrong with it. No cosmetic blemishes, no performance issues or anything.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I've bought a couple of apple refurbs, and other than the box (plain white instead of box with product shot), it's indistinguishable from a new unit.

9. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Some people just HAVE to have new. I always buys the refurbs - Apple does a great job of making them seem like new.

10. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

as others have said apple refurb's are just as good as new. I've bought a few refurb laptops from apple and never had an issue.

11. nd3eb macrumors member

i just bought an 11 inch macbook air refurbished from apple... you would never know it was refurbished... looks exactly like a brand new computer, i love it! saved myself $200 also :)