Refurbished iMac Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Beny3h, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Beny3h macrumors newbie

Hi I have MacBook 2.2 120GB hard drive 1GB Ram super drive . I want a fast desktop computer because i want a big screen and a good graphics card. So have been looking at refurbished iMacs at apple's website. I dont know weather to get a 20in iMac (aluminum) with a 320GB HD, 256MB graphics card, 1GB Ram, 2.4 processor $1099. Or the 24 iMac (white the older ones) with a 250GB HD, 128MB graphics card, 1GB Ram, 2.16 processor $1199. On the iMac I will be using it for internet, a little Video editing, a little gaming, and other things too. Also I am keeping the macbook too. Thanks for helping.

2. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'd go for a current one off the refurb store , better card bigger HD , sexier looking , cheaper , done deal

3. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I agree with marbles. I have a 20" screen and it is AWESOME!!
    Not that I wouldn't mind a 24" for the same price:)
    But really, why would you pay $100 more for a smaller hard drive, worse graphics, slower processor, and a bigger screen. To me, a 4" bigger screen is not worth that big of a sacrifice in performance and $100. If it were me, and the two cost the same, I might consider the white one a bit more. I really don't think you would miss the 4", and if you do, you can always buy an external 24" monitor to add on to it. Then you'd have an awesome setup!

4. rumplestiltskin macrumors regular

Go for the 24" screen if you can afford it. Consider how long you'll be using the machine and how much per day the much larger real estate will actually cost. I found it definitely worth the >$. Mine was a refurb from the Apple Store (bought last year).

BTW, the 24" screen uses different technology than the 20" and is superior in every regard. Do the research and you'll agree.

edit: Oops, just saw that the 24" at which you were looking is the older, white model. I don't recall whether that unit can be upgraded to 4GB RAM or only 3. Might want to look at a refurb 24" aluminum model instead.

5. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Not to mention, I actually like the white macs better than the silver ones. Something about white. Gotta love it.