Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fan 8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I have been a Mac user for many years now. My very first machine was a Apple Macintosh Performa 550. Since that first purchase I have always purchased new machines, but I decided to plunged into the refurbished market given the savings I would get on the machine I had been eying. I purchased directly from Apple and purchased AppleCare but I was wondering if there are any tests, things to do to make sure everything is in proper working order before I start installing and customizing my computer.

I know Apple says they completely check each machine before reselling it, but I would still like to cover all my bases and have a little peace of mind considering this is my first time buying refurbished.

If it matters I bought an iMac Pro. I could provide the specs as well, if needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips you guys can provide.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I was wondering if there are any tests, things to do to make sure everything is in proper working order before I start installing and customizing my computer.
I wouldn't do anything. Turn it on. Does it boot? If so, it's good.

Last edited:
Reactions: theapplehead

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Apple's Refurbished Macs get a very thorough diagnostic tests for HW. Apple talks about it on the Refurbished website.

I would trust a Refurbished over a new Mac. The hard part for me is finding a Refurbished Mac that has the BTO options that I want. If it wasn't for this, I would always get a Refurbished Mac over a new one.

That said, if you would like to do your own testing, you can do the HW diagnostic test, it is easy, free, but a warning, the extended test can take over a day.

You can do stress tests for the memory.

You can do speed tests for the storage.

Install iSTAT, or something similar to get all sorts of interesting data, like temperatures and fan speed.

Reactions: theapplehead

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
While it's turning on press D key until you see the diagnosis test screen. Then release the key, wait the Mac for 2 minutes to finish the test. It will report if there is anything not working properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.