refurbished iMac questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wrinkster22, Sep 11, 2011.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hi,
    We are considering getting an iMac, and before we order I have some questions :)

1) I am getting a model with a 1tb hard drive and 4gb ram, if needed is it easy to upgrade the ram?
    2) Are you happy with yours?
    3) are the built in speakers any good for itunes music, youtube etc?
    4) is this a good deal? http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC812LL/A#overview and that is the newest model correct?
    5) my parents are a little lenient on getting a mac.. what are some reasons they should? note they both have iPhones and one HATES it....
    thanks

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

1. Very easy to upgrade RAM
    2.Thrilled. I have two iMacs.
    3. Pretty good. Not audiophile good or anything.
    4. It is the newest model. $250 discount. Sounds good to me. Cant imagine why they hate the iPhone unless it is just too much phone for them.

3. wrinkster22, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

i have another question,

our current pc has a 1tb hd. about 300gb is used up. It it possible to easily swap the hard-drive if neccesairy? if not could we just attach a hard-drive to airport extreme? or leave one permantley plugged into the imac?

4. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I got my mom a Mac just about 2 years ago and she loves it. i get far less calls now about "I think I broke it" "I need help" "can you stop buy and fix this" and other calls.
    That price is great, but I would go for this one personally for your parents:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC309LL/A?fnode=Njc4MjQzOQ

Not everyone is into iPhones. If your parents are my parents age, then I can see why (60's plus...) My dad has a Jitterbug cell phone and couldn't be more happy with it.

6. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

thanks for your responese....
    My parents often have issues like forgeting to save word documents.. "you mean it does not save on its own :rolleyes: "
    the iMac you sent me a link to was the same i was considering except with a smaller HD. My mom has HUGE amount of music.
    thanks for your advice.

do you know if you can swap the internal hd?

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You can set up MS Word and other to auto save every few minutes. How much music does you mom have? I only have a 250GB hard drive and 15,500 songs and all my other stuff and I used 136.1 GB and that's also including my daughters music on her account. I will be upgrading my HD soon, not sure how hard it is to do on an iMac.

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

With Lion and the resume feature, it does save on its own.

You can. Here's a guide. ifixit has plenty of guides on how to do just about anything.