Refurbished iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nadaclue, Aug 8, 2016.

1. nadaclue macrumors member

So I was looking to buy a refurbished iMac from Apple and I was just checking to see what they had and they have zero refurbs listed. Actually they have nothing, no Macs, iPads or iPods. Does this happen every now and then?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm seeing plenty at the moment, so could have been a glitch.

I always buy refurb as they are a phenomenal deal (I save $600-800 as I buy the highest-spec).

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I see a whole selection of Refurbished Macs for sale on Apple's site. Apple's refurbished line goes through a rigorous inspection and in some cases, customers experience less issues with refurbished versus new hardware, because the software/hardware issues have been addressed. And the refurbished line has a warranty to attach.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Refurb.me is a good site for checking inventory and prices. They'll even send you an alert when the model you're looking at is back in stock.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not seeing much, perhaps its related to region, i.e., US vs. UK, etc
    2016-08-09_08-11-04.png

6. nadaclue thread starter macrumors member

I checked several times last night even though some said there were products available, but it still showed nothing for me. But this morning it is working. So now I am shopping.

7. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

It also shows "Sorry there are no products available, please check back later." when I click the link to see "Refurbished Macs". On the right-hand side though, where it lists "Our latest offers", it does show this

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display

8. MacInAc macrumors newbie

MacInAc

The iOS Apple Store app often has nothing listed while the website will show multiple units available.

9. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

Funny you mention this, I was pondering this myself the other day after I was fiddling with the updated iOS app. The refurb section in there lists maybe 3 to 4 products, and that's it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why their inventory lists don't match between the web and their app. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

10. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

Any ideas how Apple determines pricing on what appear to be 'identical' models ? Currently, they have a smaller selection than usual so comparisons aren't as easy right now. I do see two Oct 2015 models, 2.8ghz i5 processor, 8gb RAM, etc, etc. One has a 1TB HDD and the other has a 2TB, but their prices are $1099 vs $1359. On a new iMac, there's a $300 difference between a 1TB (mechanical) HDD and a 2TB Fusion HDD.

11. PieTunes, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

From what I've seen, the refurbished price for the exact same configuration versus new has always been 15-16% savings, which in this case looks right. The difference between both machines new is $300 bucks, so the difference between both machines refurbished should be about $45 or so less than $300. Granted, some things that are being discontinued have been discounted heavier, but the general rule of thumb for "newer" hardware is 15ish%.

12. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

Damn, you snooze, you lose with refurbished units (actually, waiting on approval from someone else...).

There was a late '15, 21.5" iMac with 3.3ghz quad-core, i7, 4K display, 16gb RAM, 1TB Fusion drive available and it's gone now. It actually would disappear for a few hours, then return, disappear again, and so on. It's been 3 days and it doesn't look like it's coming back now.... :(

What does Apple do - build up 'stock' of like models and then add them to the site ? I doubt if they have (1) of a model they post it. Well, they could, I suppose... I had a feeling that once they have 20, 30, 50 of an identical model, they add them.

13. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

No one knows the method to Apple's madness (except Apple) when it comes to what they post on the refurbished section, though it's safe to say they only post things that have already been tested and boxed up ready for shipment, at least that makes logical sense. Is an item removed after the credit card for the purchase has been approved, or when the item physically ships, etc., who knows.

I just realized over the years that their listed stock can be very fluid and it helps to have notifications set up from the Refurb tracker websites that are out there especially if there is a very specific configuration are you looking for.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    As a side note, you're aware that Apple shrunk down the flash portion of the Fusion drive for the 2015 iMacs with 1TB, it's only 24GB versus still being 128GB in the 2TB?

14. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

Yes, I am. My budget isn't unlimited so I have to make choices. I'm firm on the 16gb of RAM. As for the CPU, I want to get the most that I can - my current iMac is a 'late '09' model. I could almost make do with a 256gb SSD but I'm afraid I'd max that out. A 512gb is out of the question because of cost.

15. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

All good. I hope you're able to find the system you're looking for. How much of a rush are you in getting one? If new iMacs that are speculated to be released next month come to fruition, current refurbished prices will probably drop further.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

256gb is a good choice on a desktop as media files etc can be easily stored on a USB 3 external drive with no issues.

17. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

If a 256gb SSD + 16gb RAM model popped up, I would probably go for it ! This is a work computer so very little 'media' type files are stored, other than work-related ones.

18. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

No longer in a rush now ... the model I've been watching (3.3 ghz i7, 16gb RAM, etc, etc) returned late yesterday and I snagged one. I kept expecting as I clicked 'next, next, next..." that it would pop up and tell me "Sorry, this item is no longer available".

19. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It would be cheaper if you buy the base model and upgrade to an SSD and with more memory yourself.

20. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

Cheaper in the monetary sense, but possibly more expensive when it comes to his mental well being. Opening up and swapping components inside a 21" iMac isn't something for the faint of heart. It's easy to tell someone, "Oh just watch this iFixit video, you'll be fine" but not everyone would be willing to go through the hassle. If only they made upgrading RAM as easy as with the 27" iMac. Hopefully someday!

21. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It's not difficult at all, just a little tedious (to upgrade to an SSD).

The memory in the new 21.5" is soldered.

22. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

I'm not saying it's a difficult process to open up an iMac but as you said, it's tedious, and tedious might not be something the owner would want to go through. :) Not everyone would even think about prying open any type of electronic device no matter the difficulty level, let alone an iMac they just spent a couple grand on. If I did that myself and any random hardware or software issues or whatever started creeping up, I'd be constantly second guessing whether or not it may have been related to something I did (accidentally or otherwise) when I opened it up. Not worth the "mental hassle" so to speak.

At any rate, I hope the owner is happy with their new machine!

23. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

Yes, the memory is soldered in so I knew upgrading it was out of the question. I actually contemplated a 27" model (w/ 8gb RAM) as I knew I could upgrade it with an add'l 8gb myself for less than $60). I would end up with a 'slower' CPU as well though.

FWIW, I am hoping to buy my current iMac for personal use and take it home. If I do, it has 12gb of RAM currently and I'll probably leave that alone. I definitely will pull the HDD and swap it with an SSD though.

24. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

You're a braver soul than I, hope the swap works out well :) Congrats again on the new machine!