Refurbished iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by William Gates, Jun 17, 2008.

1. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

I was wondering how soon iMacs show up in the refurbished store after there has been a revision. Also, does anyone think that the next revision will include a bluray drive?

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Historically, it's been anywhere from two weeks to three months, depending on design (or prevalence of flaws therein).

BluRay? It's not just a question of when, it may also be a question of whether. Since the iTunes Store now rents (sells?) HD movies, there may not be a compelling reason for Apple to get a BluRay drive into the Mac lineup. I've read several articles that pointed to the possibility that, even though BluRay won the HD format battle, it may still lose the HD content delivery war.

Sure, BluRay may eventually come in handy for backups or extremely detailed games. However, Time Machine's storage medium of choice is an external hard drive, not optical media.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Also remeber places like MacMall have discounts already and you get freebies like Parallels and a Printer. See my post down the board on the "base iMac" thread. If you aren't going for the 3.06ghz processor and instead the 2.4ghz, you might as well go Macmall: new and you will get a better video card.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

5. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    It almost definitely will become an option on the Pro models. Apple is in the Blu-ray Disc Association, see wikipedia article here

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, but dXTC is right. There is not a real need to put Blu-Ray on a Mac. The success that it has had in the other all-in-one is not a compelling story (Dell XPS One, which is a comparable computer in price and specs and would be the best appealing Windows option). The one thing for sure is that it will be an OPTION. We are really going to have to wait until the price of Blu-Ray players get much lower then they already have.

But, quoting Wikipedia as a source is always right. And there is no reason to believe that just because they are on the Association that they will implement it. If it's not cost effective and users aren't demanding it, but if you really want one Logitech and FastMac offer ones that I know of.