Refurbished iPad 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mh27, Mar 19, 2011.

1. mh27 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the price drops, delays and my decreased urgency/interest, I ask you this...:
    Aside from the processor speed, size/shape, being current and the additions of cameras--- what else would I be missing by grabbing the 'older' version?

2. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Nothing

Absolutely nothing! I am keeping my iPad 1 and don't regret it a bit! At worst you can use it for a year then opt for an iPad 3, or another cheap refurb iPad 2!

3. vw195 macrumors 6502

Aside from all of those things and a higher res screen, there is no need to get an ipad 3 either :)

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Apps are the big issue here.

As more and more developers start building for the better processor, you'll start seeing more iPad 2 only apps.

May or may not be a big issue depending on what you want to do with it.

5. jenn571 macrumors newbie

jenn571

I actually will be getting my first ever ipad (refurbushed 16 GB) on Tuesday! I'm super excited to get it. I'm not an app junkie to begin with, I just want Netflix and Pandora (if they have it for the ipad) and toddler/kiddie apps for my 3 and 1 yr old. It doesn't sound like I need the ipad 2 for this:) I certainly will never use the back and/or front cameras and the speed is not that that big of a deal.

6. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I also got a refurb 16gb yesterda, arrives Tuesday. I had already bought one at the beginning of the month, but after playing with it, I found it was possessed. It would randomly open apps and type gibberish, so I got another one... easy replacement. I hear Apple refurbs are best in the industry, so I'm hoping my first one was a fluke. Here's to a better one coming soon!! :D

I went back and forth a lot about the new iPad, the iPad "classic" refurb and now the AT&T $529 64GB+3G model. In the end, the extra $150 will allow my to upgrade my iPhone 3G to the 4 :) Love rationalization :D

7. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

This won't really be an issue until probably after the 3 arrives. Most developers aren't going to abandon the original (they'd be cutting off millions of customers). Think of the % worldwide that have the iPad 1 vs 2. The vast majority have 1. The balance probably won't shift until at least the next gen arrives. Don't be scared, you'll be supported.

8. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

This.

Unless you have some overwhelming desire for camera functionality, the original iPad would work well for you. Watching movies, surfing the web, etc., are all good on the original iPad, and as jb007clone said, chances are very, very slim that app developers would miss out on a huge revenue stream.

My only gripe with not upgrading to the iPad2? I want iMovie. Yeah, I can't shoot video on the original, but being able import and edit video would be great.