Refurbished iPad 2 or new iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mitch.dunc, Mar 8, 2012.

1. mitch.dunc macrumors newbie

I'm in a little bit of a bind. I sold my HP TouchPad before the March 7th event because I just wasn't happy with Android in comparison to my MacBook Pro and iPhone 4s. I was thinking of buying the new iPad. I then found the refurbished iPad 2 16GB wifi only for $349 from Apple. It comes with a new outer shell and a new battery. It also has the same 1 year warranty. I don't need the 3G or 4G option, and I don't think i'd need more than 16GB (14 after iOS install). I don't ever plan on using the cameras on the iPad, so I don't need the updated cameras on the "new iPad."

I'm content with viewing text / images on my MacBook Pro. I calculated it's pixel density which is around 114ppi. The iPad 2 display has a pixel density of 132ppi. I do love the Retina display on my iPhone 4S, but I was okay without it when I didn't have an iPhone. From what I heard, the iPad 2 is still very zippy, but would it be even faster than the iPad 2 even though it has so many more pixels to render? So here is my question:

Is it worth another $150 for the Retina display and the A5X processor over the iPad 2?

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

3. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Yes, especially when it comes to resale down the road.

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

If you can afford the new iPad, definitely go for it.

5. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I had the same dilemma. I ended up with the iPad 3 16GB wifi, mainly due to the retina display and resale value.

6. iPegboy macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just opted for the $349 refribished verison.

7. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Same dilemma. Finally decided that the $160 odd dollars more that I pay to get a much crisper display and improved graphics are worth it.

8. unclebenny4140 macrumors newbie

My vote goes for refurb iPad 2. My rationale:

- Screen upgrade. Nice, but not necessary IMO. New resolution is overkill, especially for this type of device. I don't intend to game on it (that's what PC's, Xbox, and PS3 are for). I've never been disappointed with iPad 2 screen.

- Processor "upgrade". Unimpressed. CPU will likely be very similar if not identical to iPad 2, which is no slouch. GPU power increased; again, not a gaming device in my mind, and extra power was required to fill added pixels.

- Camera upgrade. Terrific. I'll never use it. Camera on iPhone and a T3i to take pictures with instead of holding a giant tablet up like a doofus.

- Size and weight increase! FAIL. Goes against the general idea of a tablet IMO.

- Price. $366.80 delivered to my door for refurb 16GB iPad 2 vs. $500 + tax. Again, win for iPad 2.

Again, these are my OPINIONS, and I'm sure many here will disagree. Just don't tase me bro.

9. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Those are the exact same things I debated with but the screen upgrade is not minor. It is a huge deal. Since I'm buying it mainly for reading, I went for the latest gen.

10. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Go for the refurb iPad2 it's a bargain, 3 days ago you could't even get an secondhand original 16GB iPad for that money on eBay!!

Its a no brainer unless you "need" the improvements that the new one brings...

11. tranceFusion macrumors member

I've been wondering the same thing.

Will there be ipad 3 specific apps that won't run on the 2? Or will everything run on the 2 (just at a lower res obviously)?

12. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I got a 16GB new (not refurb) wifi only from Micro Center for $360. Seemed too good of a deal to pass up.

13. bobright macrumors 601

I got a refurb jumped at the price drop and its on its way, but after watching the keynote and commercials and reading how awesome its going to be I decided to just take it back. If you're getting the refurb stop reading this forum as itll just make you regret the purchase reading about how great the new one is going to be. LOL :eek:

Anyway I'm putting a bunch of stuff up on ebay as im low on funds to make up for the price difference and getting the new one. If you have just a bit of regret it'll probably be worse down the line (just save up if you need to). I mean that thing in person is going to probably look stunning. As well as hold good resale value down the line so you can get most of the cash back, the iPad 2 not so much.

14. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Italian refurb prices!

iPad1 refurb 379 euros
    iPad2 refurb 345 euros
    So no-one in italy will buy the iPad1?

iPad2 new now 399 euros
    iPad3 new now 489 euros -but available grey-market for 432 euros,
    so I guess the iPadHD will be the big seller.

no-one in italy will buy the old versions - unless the refurb prices drop to 299?

15. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

You say you don't "need" 4G or retina display or a new camera...okay.

You've never had an iPad and once you have owned one you'll see just how invaluable those things you claimed that you don't need are to the full enjoyment of the iPad.

Spend the extra cash if it isn't too much of a hassle. If it is, save up until it isn't.

16. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Actually if he never owned an ipad he'll be happy with the ipad 2.

17. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I never said he wouldn't be happy. On the contrary, he'll be elated, just as I was for the last year.

But soon he'll feel like he's missing something - be it with the okay screen or the piss-poor camera or the need to record videos in 1080p or maybe he's traveling and his 3G speeds just aren't cutting it. I'm just trying to prevent that remorse.

18. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

It's kind of funny that now that the new iPad is coming out, the iPad 2 is talked about like it was so inadequate. I get the improved screen and features, but 6 months ago everyone loved their 2's!!!

19. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

6 months ago? I bought one in Feb and it was the bees knees until the announcement.

20. mitch.dunc thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually... Yes I have owned an iPad. A first generation bought on launch day. I ended up selling it because the iPad didn't feel mature enough for me at the time. I know it is now. I know I do not need 4G because I'm in wifi almost everywhere I go, and I can tether with my phone. I know I do not need the retina display because I'm fine without such a display on my mac, the previous iPad, and on my HP touchpad. I do not need the new camera, because I have a proper camera for that and my iPhone 4S. While those features are nice for people who use them. I do not need them.

21. bobright macrumors 601

You seem to have your mind made up why the thread??:confused:

22. mitch.dunc thread starter macrumors newbie

My main question was more just for the Retina / A5X. I could care less for the other features. I'm just trying to see all sides about the Retina / A5X before I drop money on an iPad.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

After checking out the iPad 2 today (cause my mom is handing me hers down now that she's getting the new iPad), I'd say if you read a lot (or rather plan on doing a lot of reading on the device), hell yeah it's worth it (well, I dunno about 150, definitely for a 100 more if I were actually going to spend money on one I'd say so).

I was checking iBooks out and I didn't believe it (because usually when I look at iPad 2s when I'm in the Apple store the display doesn't bug me but I usually don't really look closely at ibooks cause I"m not seriously thinking of getting one. Now I am getting one and that's going to be my main use I think). But it really did bug me how much grainier the text looked (as compared to reading on my iphone 4).

Though I did get over it. But my options wouldn't be just 150 more, it would be however more the cheapest version of the new iPad would be ;) (since I'm getting one free). And since it's not worth it to me to pay that much, I'll deal. But I would say if it was 100 dollars more,definitely worth it. But at 150, I might do some thinking about it. But for that 150 you do get a faster processor and it will probably stay relevant with the new apps and OS's longer so there is some value in that.

24. Squadleader macrumors regular

25. doboy macrumors 68000

I'm upgrading from my 5 month old iPad 2 to the new iPad solely for the retina display. I don't care about the retina for games, but for text and photos. If the experience is similar to going from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 then definitely worth the price of admission.