Refurbished Ipad 2 with Ipad 3 retailing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by D0lphin2, Feb 28, 2012.

1. D0lphin2 macrumors newbie

D0lphin2

Hi- I know this is anyone's guess but if the apple ipad 2 were to drop to 399.00 retail for the 16 gig wifi what are the chances of a refurbished one being close to the 300.00 mark or less?

2. aneftp macrumors 601

Last Year. Many Verizon corp. stores sold brand new iPad 1 16gb wifi. Brand new ones for $299 after iPad 2 was announced.

Plus AT&T dropped the prices of their models significantly for iPad 1 3G models to I believe less than $500 for the 64gb 3G iPad 1 model.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

4. aneftp macrumors 601

Why bother with refurbished.

Like I said. Verizon slashed brand new iPad 1 prices to $299.

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=...iews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20046927-243.html?

You will see big price reductions when iPad 3 is announced. If the spread difference between refurbs and brand new iPad 2 is less than $50. You might as get new model with full warranty.

If u don't buy refurbished directly from Apple you risk having the warranty drastically reduced to less than 90 days.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

@aneftp: When did Verizon start stocking 16GB Wifi ipad2's? Only 3G CDMA models last I looked. I doubt they'll sell a 16GB Wifi unit this year for $300 when they don't stock them AFAIK.

I'm curious what you see as the value difference between an Apple refurb and a new unit that's worth not saving $50? You get the same warranty either way, and Apple says their refurbs get a new battery and new outer shell. I'm not sure I understand the reluctance.

I *do* agree on not touching refurbs except from Apple; I view those as no different from a clean used item.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It all depends on the price Apple will set for the iPad 3, and if the iPad 2 will still be sold as a cheaper device.
    If the iPad 3 will cost the same as the iPad 2 (unlikely), there might be a chance of a refurbished that cheap.

7. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I think apple is going to keep the ipad 2 around as a more budget friendly version. Might be able to get a refurb for 350 with a new one starting at 400 but who knows.

8. D0lphin2 thread starter macrumors newbie

D0lphin2

Refurb

If I did buy a refurbished Ipad 2 (16 gig) it would be from the apple store. I have heard that it gets worked on by a US tech and also an new front, back and battery. It does still have a full year warranty. I sold my Acer Iconia because I hated it. I don't have a lot of money but enough for the Ipad and maybe the squaretrade or applecare to extend the warranty. The idea of AT&T or VZW is worth watching but I now have an Iphone so a wifi Ipad would suit me fine.