Refurbished iPad Air 2 Price Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bhayes444, Jul 27, 2015.

1. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I was just wondering what logical conclusions anybody can come to for the price of a refurbished iPad Air 2 upon release of the Air 3; if the 3 does come out this fall. I've never checked the refurbished store upon release of a new iPad, but can I assume that when the Air 3 comes out that they would drop the MSRP of the Air 2, and that the refurbished store would reflect that right away (e.g. 16GB Air 2 starting at $399 - refurbished discount instead of $499)?

My main reason for asking is something I noticed where the iPad Air currently has the lower 2 storage capacities available for purchase new, with the GB capacity going for $449, and is priced $50 less than the 16GB Air 2. Now, when the Air 3 comes out it would be logical for Apple to keep the two lower storage Air 2 models (16 and 64). But, would they price the 64 at $449 like the 32GB Air is now or just drop it $100 across the board? The reason I'm asking is that it would have a significant impact on the refurbished pricing of the Air 2 if the 64GB was priced at $449 (should make it around $389). I picked up the 64GB Air 2 during the Best Buy sale for $475, but if I could save $85 I am willing to wait another 3 months for this to happen. Any thoughts?

P.S. I apologize for my crazy rambling, hopefully it isn't too confusing.

2. bhayes444 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To make it simpler: Is it more likely that Apple that Apple will drop the 64GB Air 2 price to $499 when the Air 3 comes out; which is most likely the price of a potential the entry level Air 3. Or, is it more likely they drop it to $449 to be more competitive with the entry level Air 3 and priced like the current 32GB Air 1?

I'm just asking for guesses not actual future events.

3. mlody macrumors 6502a

When it comes to refurbished iPads, my guess is that Apple will offer for sale all available variants based on the available stock. I do not believe there is a reason for them to not offer all options. So far they have offered all capacities if I am not mistaken.

4. bhayes444 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I know they do on the refurbished stock. However, the price of the refurbished stock (for the older model) always seems dependent on the price of the non-refurbished devices (of the older model). Usually they just drop everything by $100 across the board, however the 32GB Air 1 dropped by $150 and I was wondering if it's more likely that Apple would drop the 64GB Air 2 by just $100 or $150. Im guessing it will only be $100 because they seem to be pricing a 16->32 jump as $50, not $100 (based on the iPod touch).