Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janderssen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Hi everyone,

I got my iPad Mini with Retina Display last week and there was a visually distracting piece of dust from under the screen. I went to the Apple Store the next day to see if they could remove the dust but they said that they couldn't do it (much to my dismay as the panel had perfect evenness of color across the screen) but that they would have to give me a new one with a new box and accessories.

When the replacement came in, it didn't come in a box and they had to take the SIM card out of the old iPad to put into the new one. I didn't think to ask if it was a refurbished model but now I wonder because when my iPhone was replaced when the lock button stopped working, I received the new one in a similar fashion.

I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and they told me they don't have information about identifying new vs. refurbished models by using a serial number.

So my question is: do any of you know how to test to see if I have a refurbished model, either by looking at the numbers on the back or by entering the serial number into a website? In the meantime, I'm thinking of going back to ask them at the store when I have time, but it may not be until the 14 day window has expired.

TL;DR - Is there a way to know if my iPad is refurbished by looking up the serial number in some database?

Thanks for your help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's very unlikely they gave you a refurb, as iPad Minis with retina displays have not yet appeared in the refurb store. Refurb models are given a different serial number that identifies them as refurbs. If you call Apple with the serial number, they should be able to tell you.

Also, you have until January 7 to return any iPad Mini with retina display, not just 14 days.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It's very unlikely they gave you a refurb, as iPad Minis with retina displays have not yet appeared in the refurb store. Refurb models are given a different serial number that identifies them as refurbs. If you call Apple with the serial number, they should be able to tell you.

Also, you have until January 7 to return any iPad Mini with retina display, not just 14 days.

I wouldn't be so sure, production had surely been ramping up for quite some time that before they were even released to the public there were probably plenty of early rejects that got refurbed for store replacement supplies.

Personally, while nothing wrong with a refurb whatsoever, I still would prefer a brand new sealed box device if I'm within my return window, and I would've made sure to tell them that's what you want. You could still return it for a refund and just rebuy elsewhere.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Did you bring yours in with the box and all of the accessories?

Just thinking that maybe if you bring in the device only that's all they give you in return.

When I exchanged my Air I got one sealed in a retail box, but I brought my first one in with the box and all accessories.

janderssen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

For anyone who may have the same questions that I had: I learned today that at my particular store, a replacement may come from the Genius Bar when supplies of the device are constrained, even if you are within your return period (and would prefer a new in box item), because they would rather the customer have a replacement sooner than later. This meant getting an out-of-box device within a few days, vs. a new-in-box device within a few weeks. The out-of-box devices "have not been used by anyone."

Hope that's helpful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.