Refurbished iPad on apple store...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xxTK421xx, Jan 19, 2011.

  1. xxTK421xx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    #1
    With the iPad 2 coming at some point in the next few months, do you think it's a bad idea to pick up a refurbished 32GB iPad for $500 on the apple store?

    I don't really have much interest in the supposed upgrades that will be coming with the iPad2 so it's really just a matter of price for me. Do I buy the 32gig version now and save 100 bucks or do I wait and hope that they lower the price on the first gen models.

    Basically, I'm wondering if the price on the iPad is going to drop more than 100 dollars. $500 for a 32 gig iPad seems pretty good to me but if I can get it for less than that after the iPad2 is announced, I guess I should wait.
     
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
  3. xxTK421xx thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    #3
    I'm not counting on it either...just hoping. haha.

    The $500 32gb iPad on the apple store is 16% off for a limited time so I feel like if I don't act soon, I might get screwed.
     
  4. poloponies, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

    poloponies macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #4
    I really wouldn't count on finding a current-generation iPad at a retail outlet (as opposed to resale like eBay or Craigslist) after the new ones come out. Perhaps abroad, but not in the U.S.
     
  5. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #5
    Look at it another way. Let's say there IS a $100 price drop on the 32GB ipad1 when the ipad2 comes out.

    What's the value to you of having an ipad in hand for several weeks or maybe two or three months until a release and price change happens?

    How much more money might you save by waiting vs. buying a refurb now? $50 more savings?

    If the current version does everything you want and the speculated upgrades don't have much value to you, then I'm not sure I see a reason to wait given current non-3G refurb pricing.
     
  6. malnar macrumors 6502a

    malnar

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    #6
    Unless you have a very tight budget, buy the 32gb now at this discount and enjoy it. Then, when the new upgraded Ipad comes out, see if the upgrades are worth bothering with. If they are, sell that for the price you see others selling theirs at. You may lose a bit but you won't lose as much as others who bought theirs at full price. Consider it a possibly long-term rental. And then pay a small extra amount to get a brand new one. Or don't - just keep your refurb 32 and enjoy it until next year when a surely BIG upgrade it coming. The latter is my personal suggestion - subject to change in case Apple pulls the proverbial rabbit out the hat and out comes a ridiculously spec'd new Ipad - because I'll be selling my Ipad too for that. But I'm betting on modest spec changes (512k ram, 32gb is the small model) and cameras/SD-card input will be the big changes. I can wait a year for better than that.
     
  7. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

    gr8whtd0pe

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2008
    Location:
    Belle, WV
    #7
    I was thinking the same thing as the OP and I agree with this perfectly. I was going to do the same with an iPhone 4 for a friend. :D
     
  8. xxTK421xx thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    #8
    I caved. Should be here in a couple of days. So pumped!

    With my luck, next week they'll announce the iPad 2 with a super high def screen, 2 cameras, 1 gig of ram and a ton of new apps that only work on the new model. haha.

    Thankfully, as I've said, I really don't care about the screen resolution and the cameras. The ram would probably be a nice addition but I don't think it will affect what I will be using the iPad for.

    Exclusive apps however, THAT would piss me off. haha.

    Thanks for the advice guys!
     
  9. bobright macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2010
    #9
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    I would have waited I mean it's coming out at no more than probably 2 months and for most likely around the same price. I see no reason to get a refurb now.
     
  10. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #10
    Nah, they'll wait until you're JUST outside your return window... :)
     
  11. techluvr macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    OK, USA
    #11
    I did the same thing. Ordered a 16gig 3G refurb with no regrets.
     
  12. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

    Mr. Chewbacca

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Location:
    Dallas TX
    #12
    I just got my 32gb wifi referb a week ago. My only regret is waiting as long as I did. So glad I went ahead and got it
     
  13. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

    gr8whtd0pe

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2008
    Location:
    Belle, WV
    #13
    They would have to post the new home screen confirming the cameras today wouldnt they? lol
     
  14. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

    AppleGoddess

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #14
    Yes they would, yeah:)
     

Share This Page