Refurbished Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Strom1, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

Never bought anything refurbished before, but there are some really great deals on the original Ipad's. How is Apple's refurbished stuff? Clean, no scratches or blemishes? Safe bet?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apple's refurbs are typically a great deal and include a warranty
    I would definitely consider it over any other "used" device

3. lanes1lva macrumors member

Should be good.

Knowing Apple they won't give you anything in a terrible condition. But, you get what you pay for.

4. gertruded macrumors regular

I purchase all my Apple products through the Refurb store. IMac, Macbook, mini, and 4 months ago an Ipad.

All have been in pristine condition. Love the iPad.

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol im not torn on whether to buy the refurb ipad.. im torn on buying the ipad period :)

but i have heard from people that apple's refurbs are considered greater than the "new" products because apple literally goes though, replaces a bunch of things, cleans it, and makes it brand new-like again.

so an apple refurb is just a used tech that has been thoroughly inspected, changed, and cleaned.

6. r2fa3l macrumors regular

they don't "clean it" though,
    the refurbished are just like the new ones.

the only thing they re-use are internal parts.
    the glass + back+ homebutton are new.

7. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

You've clearly never purchased any refurbished products from Apple. The entire casing and battery are always replaced. The units actually go through a higher count quality inspection than a new product does. Also as mentioned they're backed by the same length warranty. Apple refurb products are as close to new products in the industry...

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

The page on which you select a refurbished ipad specifically states that all refurbs receive a new battery and outer shell. You won't have any scratches or blemishes. Plus you get full warranty as if it were brand new. From http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

I can't think of any reason NOT to buy a refurb if you're wanting to buy one from Apple rather than Craigslist or ebay (which is a different discussion).

shyam09 -- whether an ipad fits your needs a whole other question as well. I am very happy I bought one a couple months ago. My main uses are ebooks, annotating/highlighting PDFs, light web and email. It is far easier to carry my ipad on business trips for my personal stuff than it would be to carry my MBP. It is a great augment to my MBP, but should not be considered a replacement for such. There are many discussions here regarding the pros/cons of an ipad vs. a MPB or MBA -- it really depends on your specific needs. Do feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

9. PacMan3000 macrumors newbie

For anyone who has bought a refurbished iPad...does it look refurbished? Am I going to get one that has scratches on it, or has fingerprints all over it?

Dumb comparison, but is it like going into a video game store and purchasing a used game or movie, in that it technically works fine, but you're getting a disc with tons of imperfections on it (light scratches, fingerprints), and it overall shows wear like, well, it's been used.

Or, is it going to look brand, feel, and work like brand new, but it previously had an owner who returned it for some unknown reason?

Thanks.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Apple specifically states on the store website where you look at refurbs that each one gets a new battery and new outer shell. Should look just like new.

11. rlkellermd macrumors newbie

Just bought refurbished ipad for the kids- 16 gb for $350. Other than coming in a plain white box it looks new.