Refurbished iPads - ok?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonhcox, May 17, 2011.

1. jonhcox macrumors regular

All,

My parents and I would like to go in on a refurbished original iPad 16gb wifi for my 10 year-old niece. She has a ton of educational games on her dad's and my folks and I were thinking that getting her an refurb'd iPad would be a great birthday present and a way for my brother to clear some space on his.

I know the Apple site states that they completely clean it, put on a new aluminum housing, new battery etc. My question is, has anyone ever had any issues with buying a refurb? Quality issues? Everything run ok? I assume they clean the dust under the screen- if any.

Thanks for any and all input!

2. syclick macrumors regular

I purchased my refurbed Macbook Pro 17" from Apple, and it looked like a 100% new product (besides the fact that it came in a brown box). And I say that as a very nitpicky person...

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I can't speak for refurbished iPads in particular but Apple refurbished products are typically good quality when bought from Apple directly.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I've had different experiences depending on what gadget you're talking about.

iPhone 4--I went through a lot of replacement units for multiple reasons. NOT ONE of them was in perfect cosmetic condition. Also, I was having so much trouble with refurbs functionally, Apple agreed to send me a new in the box iPhone 4. It too had cosmetic blemishes, but was the one that finally ended up working right. I chalked it up to Apple being incapable of sending me a blemish free phone and just lived with it.

iPad 2--Out of the box from UPS, it had a couple of tiny black dots on the back that I could not rub off (looked like marker or something). At first glance, the screen looked fine, but a few days later I noticed a minor scratch on the bezel area. I decided I would NOT get into the vicious return cycle again like I did with iPhone 4 so I chose to just let it go. UNTIL I noticed dust accumulating under my iPad's screen. My replacement iPad 2 is perfect. No scratches, no marks, no dust, no dead pixels, and no light leak.

5. WalkingSnake macrumors member

The iPad 2 is already available refurb?

6. jonhcox thread starter macrumors regular

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I don't know--mine was in a brown box. Don't know if that means it was new or not, but it was in perfect shape, unlike all those grey box iPhones I got.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Did your order both the iPhone and the iPad as new originally? I think that might be a bit different than when you start out ordering from the Apple Refurb store.

9. jonhcox thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I know and this comes from a "Genius", Apple isn't selling refurbished iPad 2's as of yet. The poster must have bought a new iPad 2 and then swapped for light-leakage. Then I think you either could get a brown box (if they ordered it) or they would have pulled a new one from the back. I tried to see if I can buy a refurb'd iPad 2 from the website and saw nothing but original iPads.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yep, and I wouldn't expect to see them for a while. Last time around I think it was September before iPads hit the refurb store.

11. Built macrumors 68020

True, the brown box replacements are new, not refurbs (at least not yet).

12. sebseb81 macrumors member

I have a refurb iPad (first gen obviously) and it was in perfect condition. I've also purchased a refurb iPod Touch and it was also flawless. I don't think you'll have any regrets with going the refurb route!

13. wasabinuki macrumors newbie

I have never had an issue with any Apple refurbished item. As long as it was Apple that does the refurbing and not a 3rd party then you should be fine. Often times they even come with a full warranty.

14. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Apple is known for the high-quality of the refurbs. Some people have said that refurbs go through more QC than new products but I'm not so sure about that.

If you buy from Apple (who is the only one selling authorized refurbs anyway), it comes with the exact same warranty and accessories as a brand new product, so the ONLY thing you're losing by buying refurbished is the joy of Apple's modern industrial packaging design.

15. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I purchased a refurbed 16gb wifi first generation a few weeks ago. When I received it I couldn't tell at all if it had been used or formerly owned.

It comes in an iPad box, shrink wrapped, with all the cords and manuals that come with a retail box. I am pleasantly surprised and would buy refurbished again :)

Any questions feel free to PM me.

16. jonhcox thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome news and I appreciate everyone's posts. I think I am going to go ahead and get my wife one as well. Thanks again!