Refurbished iPhone 3G Warranty Issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecoolone1, Jun 29, 2009.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Well if you seen my recent posts I did get an iPhone 3G from a friend for free (she upgraded to the 3GS). It had a crack on the vibrate/silent switch so I took it to Apple and they swapped it out within 5 minutes with a "new" refurbished iPhone, I couldn't be any happier :)

BUT there is one problem. When I went in the Warranty Status for the "old" serial number expired on July, 10. When I walked out with a refurbished one, it says "Our records indicate this product has not been activated."

Please note that I do not have an AT&T Contract. I'm actually on prepaid GoPhone. I even called the Apple Store & 1-800 # and they said as long as it had a warranty they would exchange it and it did NOT have to be under contract. A guy even made a good point saying "Sir, we sell iPhone's now a days without a contract/no commitment". So when I got the Refurbished unit they did not activate it or anything, they handed it to me and I left the store.

My question is: How do I get my July, 10 Warranty back so I can put Apple Care on it? Any help would be appreciated. Also, sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be clear on everything lol!

2. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

apple will have the original paperwork from your swap out on file, it'll have the serila numbers of both products and show that you are not out of warrenty

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Call AppleCare and explain to them that you want AppleCare or you can buy it from Apple Store Online and just register online as well....:cool::cool::cool:

4. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

So I should still be able to purchase Apple Care? Also, just right now I got the Previous iPhone's serial # which I kept just for the hell of it and I checked the status on that and it still says I have warranty on that one until the 10th even though that was the one Apple has now due to me exchanging it.

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

the way it's written is up to a year after the purchess date you can buy applecare, if your product was bought 10 months ago and it was replaced, you only have 2 months to get applecare, not a new 12 months. i hope that helps

6. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, correct and that does help. I'm just lost to why the one I gave back to Apple is still showing the warranty of the 10th for the Serial # and the one I have now shows I need to have it activated. Shouldn't the one I gave to Apple be cleared of its serial number so they can most likely refurbish that one as well? Anyways, I'll just give them a call tomorrow.

7. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I have a quick update on this issue.

I got my warranty back! I don't know how but when I checked the status again it said my warranty! I was originally jailbroken with redsnow so I RESTORED back to factory settings in itunes WITH my GoPhone sim card in and when it was done restoring I got a notifcation on the iphone saying "awaiting activation" and 30 seconds later it said "activated". Right after I saw that screen I went to Apple's Online Service Assistant and sure enough out of no where the warranty screen came up with my warranty back in tact!

I'm a little worried though. Since it did "activate" on a GoPhone sim card will I be billed by at&t for anything? I'm not in a Contract and when I dial 611 from the iPhone it takes me to the GoPhone # giving me my balance and etc.. So I guess it's safe to say I successfully did something right or...not? lol

Also, I did not go through any activation process thru iTunes, I was never even prompted for any name or social or etc.. I also don't know if this matters or not but the GoPhone Sim Card was originally activated from a cheap Nokia phone using it's IMEI # and not the iPhone's IMEI #.