Refurbished iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Dec 27, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Should I buy refurbished iphone 4 from AT&T? I know it's refurbished and I don't usually buy refurbished phones, but it's from apple and I know they will back it up with a warranty for at least 6 months. What do you all think?

2. PsstGreek, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Buying refurbished is almost buying it new. Apple reconditions whatever they are selling refurbished then certify it. It's a great way to save some money but personally up to you.

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between a brand new iPhone and a refurb.

4. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

The refurbs get the same 1 year warranty as the new phones.

Some say that refurbs get new serial numbers that will help identify them as refurbs.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Check carefully on this. The refurb iPhones from AT&T usually do NOT come with the Apple one year warranty. They come with the REMAINDER of the Apple warranty, depending on how old the iPhone is. I believe these come from AT&T returns.

This is not necessarily a problem, but very different from a normal Apple refurb, which I would agree is "good as new" with a full one year factory warranty.

6. Jimbo Asprilla macrumors regular

Jimbo Asprilla

I got a refurbished iPhone 4 from AT&T and I'm really happy with it, it looks brand spanking new, came in an AT&T box rather than an Apple box but other than that you honestly wouldn't know the difference, can't comment on the warranty aspect but in terms of the hardware, its brilliant.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats false.
    They do come with a year.

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Check your warranty online:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

I just about crapped my pants when I learned I have Applecare until September 22, 2011 on this beatup phone I have here. Course I don't know if it transfers to new owners but still rather cool.

9. Jimbo Asprilla macrumors regular

Jimbo Asprilla

Wow thanks for the link, seems I got 12 months with my iPhone 4, I'm good until September 14th 2011 !

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Is this new with the refurb iPhone 4? I had multiple conversations with AT&T about the 3GS refurbs where they indicated that these were AT&T returns (not Apple returns) and that they were covered by AT&T's 90 day warranty PLUS whatever Apple warranty is left on the device.

Granted the iPhone is newer and a return would probably be new enough to have much of the original warranty left.

All I am saying is to check it out...

11. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

AT&T refurbs the phones they get back the one's you switch out at apple are refurbed by Apple and that's the only way I would buy one.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That is my understanding as well - thus the shorter warranty from AT&T and the remainder of the original warranty from Apple...

13. ringgit, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

14. frankie11 macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find refurbished Iphones at the apple store.
    Here is what i found:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals
    Am i missing something?

15. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Apple doesn't usually sell their refurb iPhones. They use them for maintenance spares when you exchange an iPhone under warranty. If they DO sell them, they would come with a standard one year warranty and are effectively "as good as new".

These are the ideal refurbs to purchase if you can.

However, currently only AT&T is selling refurbs. Their refurbs are sourced from customer returns and my understanding is that they have a 90 day warranty from AT&T, and any remanning portion of the apple one year warranty based on the ORIGINAL sale date of the phone. This could be anything from 90 days up to the full one year warranty, depending one the age of the phone.

This is the significant difference between an Apple and AT&T refurb.

With iPhone 4's, the phone has only been available since July, so they have to have at least 7 months of the warranty left, so it is still a pretty good deal. With the iPhone 3GS they were selling back in November, those phones could have been more than one year old, resulting in only a 90 Day warranty from AT&T.

In my opinion, Apple refurbs are a no brainer. AT&T refurbs need to be considered based on the remaining warranty, which is usually difficult to determine until after you have purchased the phone.

This is not to say that the AT&T refurbs are guaranteed to be a problem, but they are a bit more risky than the Apple refurbs...

16. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I can't speak for the AT&T refurbs, but my step daughter exchanged her iPhone 4 at Apple today and the replacement (Apple refurb) had a new serial number starting with 5K...

17. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

Thanks for the answer. Anyone else care to share?

18. frankie11 macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the info!:)

19. jarev macrumors newbie

I called AT&T yesterday to inquire about the refurbished Iphone 4. They told me that they only come with 3 month warranty and that the original warranty does not apply because the phone is refurbished.

Based on what I read on this threat, that would appear to be not entirely true, meaning that the original warranty still stands. I am confused!

20. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I e-mailed AT&T on this yesterday to try to get answer. Their response was incomplete, but here is what they said:

From what I have been reading about other people's experiences, they get 90 days from AT&T and then get the phone home and use the link to check the warranty based on the serial number, and see how much of the Apple warranty is left.

If this is correct, then I would THINK that anyone who buys an AT&T iPhone 4 refurb now has at least six months of original Apple Warranty left, since the earliest date you could purchase the iPhone 4 was June 24, 2010.

I suspect that is where the "six months warranty coverage" came from in the earlier posts. Note also that several of those posters seems to have coverage through September 2011, which would make sense if they purchased refurb phones that were ORIGINALLY purchased in September 2010.

21. tmp0404 macrumors member

Just did an online chat with ATT, I have a premier account, not that it matters. Any ways, the ATT representative only mentioned the 90 day warranty, nothing about whatever warranty was left with Apple.

This makes me less comfortable buying a refurb iphone 4 from them. BTW, does the Apple online store sell refurb iphone 4's, or do you know if a retail store sell them, and comments would be appreciated.

The ATT rep asked for my cell number, which I did provide. And then wanted to know my full name, the name of the ATT account holder, and the last 4 digits of my SSN, so he/she could provide me with more information. I found this strange, and respectfully declined.

I don't recall seeing iphone 4 refurbs in the online store as I do visit it often. Actually bought a ipad refurb online for the Apple online store, and it was in perfect condition.

Thanks.

22. xbpr macrumors member

I'm interested in finding out the actual deal on these AT&T refurbished phones myself. I've read a lot of conflicting reports about the warranties and near as I can tell, you get an AT&T 90 day warranty on top of whatever remains of the 1 year Apple warranty. However, I have read accounts of people getting the Apple warranty clock reset to a year from when they purchased the refurbished phone through AT&T by showing proof of purchase.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's pretty much it.
    Its a 90 day AT&T warranty but if you contact Apple they will adjust the date to a year from day of purchase.
    Purchasing refurbs from AT&T or Apple shouldnt make a difference.

24. vincejose macrumors newbie

picture proof

Realize this thread is old but it's one of the higher hits on Google if you search for "at&t refurbished iphone warranty" so I thought I'd post this. I just picked up a refurbed iPhone 4 and it came with the attached declaration on the box. Looks like it's a full 1 year warranty.

Attached Files:

25. ricardzee macrumors newbie

well, old thread but a question still worth asking.
    a recent chat with att representative about this very issue, a rather evasive fellow:

Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?

ric: hi. I'm wondering about the refurbished iphone 4s on the website. Are these refurbisehd by Apple and does that come with an apple warranty?

Jaasun: I would be more than happy to assist you with your phone concerns today!

Jaasun: You are able to purchase the device and add insurance through us or Apple if you'd like.

ric: ok, but that doesn't answer either of my questions.

Jaasun: The refurbished devices were returned to the manufacturer on a warranty exchange. Any problem would have been fixed and they will be in like new condition. Should you experience problems with the device within the first 90 days of ownership, it may be returned for service or replacement.

Jaasun: They are returned to Apple for repair.

ric: does the original apple warranty still apply at all?

Jaasun: If you get a refurbished device, you have 90 days to return the device to us for repair. The device is returned to Apple for repair and sent back to you.

ric: iphones come with a 1 year warranty from apple. Is any of that original warranty still valid on a refurbished iphone?

Jaasun: No it isn't.

Jaasun: Refurbished devices offer a 90 day warranty.

ric: And it's my understanding that there is a 30 day return policy. Does that apply to refurbished phones as well?

Jaasun: Yes that is correct.

ric: and is there a restocking fee on returns

Jaasun: There may be a restocking fee applied.

ric: and how would I determine if there is or not?

Jaasun: If you decide to cancel, you will have to contact Customer Care and they will advise if there is a restocking fee or not.