Refurbished iPhone 5s 64 GB on ebay legit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willyx, Nov 14, 2014.

1. willyx macrumors member

Do you guys think this is a scam?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...l-/171541813919?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Seller claims item condition is "Customer or Carrier Return in New-Other condition". This makes me doubt a little bit about the origin of the phones.

Also, he claims the phone is factory unlocked from Verizon. Is this even possible? Does this mean "fully" unlocked to work anywhere with any carrier?

Thank you.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Have you sent the seller a message asking these questions? That would be where I would start because I doubt anybody here will know, sorry.

3. willyx thread starter macrumors member

I did but unfortunately I'm not getting replies from him. I know it's difficult for anyone here to know, but I guessed there could be someone with previous experience with this seller or similar offers.

Thanks for your reply.

4. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I would not buy a paperclip off eBay for fear it may be a counterfeit paperclip.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

If you get no reply, my advice would be to walk away. There is no way I would part with my money to somebody who couldn't be bothered to answer an enquiry I had made. I know it is ebay but basic customer service applies in all forms of selling. I hope you do the right thing, good luck. :)

If something sounds too good to be true, it often is.....

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

if anything, make sure you use paypal. paypal will take care of things when you get scammed.

7. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

When shopping on eBay, make the above statement your mantra.

Look into the seller's other items for sale, recent feedback, and obviously their overall feedback rating. If no returns are accepted, consider that a red flag. As the previous poster mentioned, if the vendor won't respond to an inquiry, move on. While some items are difficult to find on EBay, iPhones are not one of them. Wait until you find a deal that seems right, and beware iCloud locked phones. Lots of those on there

8. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

164 negs in 12 months!

That's all I need to know!

----------

Not my experience!

I was asked to PROVE the item I bought was counterfeit before a refund was issued!!

9. willyx thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for all the feedback. You're right on the lack of response and the negatives he has.

I think will explore other offers, as this one seems a little bit odd. Thanks again.

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

that shouldn't be an issue if it was really a counterfeit right?

11. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

No but it was time and effort on my part when I was the person who was robbed. :D

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

There's your first sign...

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

Um, 164 negs out of 20,684 postives is .007. That means less than 1% of all customers gave this guy a negative. That is INSANELY good service.

Basically out of 100 customers, 1 person complained. I don't even think a store like Apple or Best Buy has that kind of positive feedback.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Of you aren't getting replies from the seller it is time to move on.

15. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Make sure you check icloud iphone activation site set up by apple(google for it) also check swappa to be double sure. Some honest sellers would even post imei number and write clean esn and icloud unlock disclosure. Take your time to look for the iphone you want, sure you can get at this price. Consider next new iphone entry will even bring the price down, by this time next year it will be around $150 or 200 less. This is how apple works. :)

16. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

But when the negs say he is selling SH phones as new/refurbished and Chinese lighting cables as genuine that's not good!

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Price doesn't seem bad. I'm just concerned they used iPhone 5 photos. They do accept returns though, so that's pretty straight forward.

White box, it sounds like these may be refurbished replacements.