Refurbished iPod touch deal

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RKpro, Jun 16, 2009.

1. RKpro macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I'm thinking about getting an ipod touch from apple's online store, I can get a refurbished one for $40 less than a new one.

It says, that all refurbished ipods have the same warranty as the new ones, have new batteries, and new outer shell. Is this true? Will it have a brand new shell? I normally avoid refurbished, because I don't want scratched up, used gadgets. But if they replace the shell and battery, I don't see any reason to buy a new one.

Also, this 3.0 OS is coming out soon. Would the refurbished touch come with 3.0 if I order after it is released? I presume that a new unit will have it, but I might have to spend $10 if I get a refurbished one.

2. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

I bought a refurbished iPod touch 1st generation awhile ago, and it was $200 for the 8gb. model.

It looks and will function brand new, they basically fix a broken one, put a new case on it, and sell it.

It comes in a square white box that says apple certified refurbished products (or something like that) on a sticker on the back, and comes with everything a new iPod touch will come with. and it has absolutely no scratches, you cannot tell the difference between a refurbished one and a new one

If I were you, i'd get the refurbished one, but I just sold mine and am now waiting for the 3rd gen., as you can see in my sig

3. RKpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you KrazyKuul for all the details.

I've been avoiding ipods for years. I prefer to use my media player as a mass storage device, and drag and drop my MP3s. But I like how itunes works now, and I like the features of the iphone 3.0 OS. So I'll have to give it a shot. I can get that 8GB referb touch for only $200, and I can upgrade in September if there is a significant update..

4. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

no problem

but I am guessing if It works out the way it did before, none of the 2nd gen iPods will be sold with 3.0 firmware, rather the new 3rd gen iPod coming out this september will have it installed. Then probably right when they release the 3rd gen line, the 3.0 firmware will be free from the appstore.

If you can hold off, you may want to see what the 3rd gen iPod has in store, because I bought my 1st gen refurbished ipod about a month before the 2nd gen came out, and I regretted it a whole lot, that's why I sold mine.